Need new hard drive. No idea what size?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by onthegogirl1, Jul 14, 2011.

1. onthegogirl1 macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. OS X version 10.5.8. For awhile now I've had a lot of trouble with it, mainly saying that the start up disk is full and everything I do to try to fix it does nothing. Took it into a Mac store and they said my hard drive is completely full, thus the "circle of death" I keep getting, the constant shutdowns and the inability to download any thing. Not even a photo.

Anyway, so I guess I need a new, bigger hard drive. I've done some research and I'm a little tempted to try to buy one and install it myself (from newegg). But I'm no pro, I'll admit that, and it makes me a teeny bit nervous. Add to that the fact that I don't know what size of hard drive I need. I've opened up the HD info and it says that I have 148.34 GB capacity. ? Sounds like a weird size to me. But if you can determine what size that is, could you tell me what size I need to buy to upgrade? I don't wanna do this again anytime soon so whatever size seems reasonable...?

Oh and any advice anyone wants to give on changing these HD's out is more than welcome too. : )

Thanks.

Charity

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

any 2.5 will do. it's fairly easy to do a HD swap, I am not a computer genius either, but I upgraded and replaced mine. good luck

3. onthegogirl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks! At least that gives me a starting point to start researching prices. : )

4. onthegogirl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, told you I wasn't a pro. Looked up 2.5 HD's and now I'm confused about what kind is best and if all listed will be capable of being used in a Mac. ??? Would seem that they'd have to be specific to a Mac?

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Any 2.5 HDD will do.
    But if you're asking about drive capacity, you should get one with 320gb or more.

By the way, have you tried deleting files from your computer to free up space? Seems that's the only problem you have :O

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

7. onthegogirl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help! I'm doing research now on buying that size of HD and installing it. And in regards to deleting files, you're right and that's what I'm currently doing. Ridiculously, I have been importing photos (the primary reason I bought a Mac...photos and graphics) for the last 4 years without exporting any of them OR deleting ones that I knew I didn't want to keep. Seems it's responsible for a lot of my snags lately.

The tech was trying to tell me that, regardless, I would probably need a new HD, even if I freed up space because, "by now, your HD is basically junk anyway". I'm not sure that I buy into that....seems he was pulling a hard sell. ? But I'm at least going to see what deleting a lot of these photos will do. My main probably in deleting things (other than photos) is the constant worry that I"m going to delete something that will cause the computer to go belly up; I don't know what's totally necessary for the function of these machines so that scares me to death. I'll probably still take it in for a "clean up" since it's still doing weird things like shutting down or when I"m typing something, all of a sudden, it highlights the whole sentence and randomly deletes sections of it. ?? Very strange.

8. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Make sure you check the height of the drive you want to buy. You want the ones that are 9.5mm high, some of the larger capacities are taller and won't fit in the drive bay.

9. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I am needing to upgrade my Macbook HD also. After reading lots of reviews I have decided to spend a little more and get a hybrid drive, which offers lots of capacity with near-SSD performance for a fraction of the price of SSD. This Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid is what I've settled on.