Need new HD advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScaggsMac, Aug 1, 2015.

1. ScaggsMac macrumors newbie

ScaggsMac

Have had problems with my mb pro freezing up soon after start up and have not been able to fix the issue. I've been told I need to replace the HD.. Also been told to upgrade to SSD.

Yes or no? Advice on which kind to go with?

Also.. I Think I'll have trouble getting my files off my current hard drive.. With it freezing up so fast I do not think I can transfer to a thumb drive etc. advice? Thanks!!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you tell us which model of MBPro you have? The year would be the most relevant info, I think... But any info you can add to that is great.

3. ScaggsMac thread starter macrumors newbie

ScaggsMac

4. ScaggsMac thread starter macrumors newbie

ScaggsMac

Mainly it freezes after I try to open anything. Once it "freezes" I can still move the mouse for a while and bring up the dock but eventually color wheel shows up

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you would be quite happy with an SSD, as your MBPro would speed up considerably - better than new...
    There's quite a few options for that.
    I like Crucial as a brand, and have an MX100 SSD in a mini, which is amazing.
    There should be others who will chime in with their favorites.

Here's how I would proceed with getting your files:
    Swap out the hard drive for an SSD. You can boot to internet recovery, and setup the SSD with Disk Utility. You can install whatever version that it makes available to you (probably Lion on a 2010 model, but could be a later version).
    You can install the old hard drive in an external USB case. Connect that to your MBPro. When the new user setup asks, you may be able to migrate your files from the old drive, directly into a fresh install of OS X. If that works, then you would continue on with upgrading your system to whatever you are currently using, unless you are already using Lion. Yosemite would be easy to get to now.
    If you have your current OS X installer on a USB flash drive, then that makes it all a lot easier.
    If your old drive is in really bad shape, then the migration can take quite a long time, and may error out. Then you would have to decide on other methods, depending on how important your files are to you.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13" that I put an SSD into.
    It made a WORLD of difference, speedwise.
    It will now boot from the first appearance of the Apple to the finder in FIVE SECONDS FLAT (I'm still using OS 10.6.8).

You will LIKE the upgrade.

Don't worry too much about which SSD you need, speed-wise.
    They WILL ALL PERFORM THE SAME.
    This is because a 2010 MacBook has only a SATA-2 bus, and EVERY SSD you buy today is "faster than the bus".

So -- I'd suggest something from the Crucial line, affordable and should be reliable.

Use the ifixit.com "guide" for instructions on how to do it.
    The actual "drive swap" is so easy you almost don't need instructions.

Another proviso:
    BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB (shouting intentional)
    You'll need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 driver.
    You can find these online, at Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, a decent hardware store.

Another important thought:
    I would recommend that you "prep and test" the new SSD BEFORE you try to install it.
    If you do it this way, you will know the drive is good, while you still have a "working computer" (with the old drive still inside).

To do this, you'll need either:
    - an external 2.5" USB3 enclosure
    - a USB3/SATA docking station
    - a USB3/SATA "dongle-type" adapter.

These can be found at amazon.com in the $20-25 range.
    Once the SSD is in the MacBook, use the enclosure or dock to hold the old drive, and let it serve as your backup.