Need new HD for my MBP....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonesrq, Mar 31, 2009.

1. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 7200.4 is fastest and largest capacity HDD right now.

And the one you posted will work just fine.

3. boogieman macrumors regular

Ill 2nd the seagate lovin it.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

good luck finding it tho. i've been trying to get this for a week and a half. i dont order online so you may have better luck with that route. but the seagate is the best.

5. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

the seagate 7200.4 I googled it & people say that gives problems...however, not sure if they are PC users :) but has anyone had any issues

6. infiniteengine macrumors newbie

I spent like two weeks doing research and comparing prices (I had 4 drives to replace) and I have to say the Western Digital Scorpio Blue seems like the all around best option.

Its a 5400rpm drive, but if you look at the Tom's Hardware charts it performs almost as well if not better than the 7200rpm drives out right now. In addition the general consensus seems to be that at least partly due to the fact that its 5400rpm it is MUCH more reliable than the other's especially when compared to the Momentus 7200.4. Its also fairly cheap, I think the lowest price right now is around $100 (though its $96 at Dell and there's constantly coupons on it there.) Newegg has also had a few deals that put it around $90 over the past week or two.

What I ended up doing for two of my computers where the extra 100GB wasn't that necessary (Including my MBP) was buying two Western Digital Elements 400GB external drives from staples at $58 after $25 off $75 ejunkies coupons. Those contain WD4000BEVT (Scorpio Blue) drives and you can swap them out of the enclosure pretty easily.

Edit: Ha, I didn't even notice your link was to the Scorpio Blue. So far its been great for me, and runs a lot cooler and quieter than the drives I replaced. $99 at Dell Home http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=39715&lid=1003769 but I'd wait for one of the 15% accessory coupons that seem to pop up like once a week. Code for free 2 day shipping: ZBC8LPSBMMRB28

7. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I have the Seagate Momentus 500GB @7200RPM ... I installed it in February...its very quiet... no problems so far! Got it from TigerDirect

8. Gerri Shin macrumors member

I just replaced my HDD the other week with that drive you linked to, though I got mine from newegg with an external enclosure for my old drive for $99.
    So far I haven't seen anything wrong, not a skip, blip, anything. It's also quieter than the stock Apple drive.
    (just so you know I've got a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MBP)

9. archangel37 macrumors member

My vote goes to the WD Scorpio Black - smaller than the Seagate at 320GB, but it's a better boot drive - better small random performance.

http://barefeats.com/note05.html

Seems like you can't go wrong with either though.

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I got the WD500 from Newegg. It's a great drive. They're still selling them for $99.99, so you can save $10 over TigerDirect.

Here's the link to all the 500gig laptop drives Newegg sells (note the Seagate 7200rpm drive is still out of stock...has been for weeks.)

If you subscribe to Newegg's newsletter, this weeks promotion has the Samsung Spinpoint drive for $79 until April 6. But I seriously prefer the WD Scorpio Blue 500gig. It's a real solid 5400 drive, has great read/write speeds, runs cool (mine's at 79F, been on all day in my MBP) and is really energy efficient. Oh yeah... it's quiet. No mechanical clicks, head park clicks, etc. during normal use. Others have reported this, but I just haven't found this to be the case with mine. Just smooth, quiet and lots of capacity. Well worth the extra coin in my book. I'd definitely buy it again.

11. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

I have this same external hd, and I plan to crack it open for my new MBP. Any tips on getting the case removed? I found a lot of info for the WD Passport cases, but nothing for the Elements.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

When speed is priority: WD5000BEVT.

When battery life is priority: Toshiba MK5055GSX (lowest idle power consumption) Hitachi 5K500.b (lowest power consumption while playing video).

Accurate power measurements can be found on Tomshardware.com

Seagate 7200.4 is outperformed by WD5000BEVT in most situations. Review can be found on Techreport.com

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

On the latest Macbook Pro's there is a build to order option for a 500GB 7200 rpm drive. Does anyone know who makes the one Apple uses? Is it the Seagate 7200.4?

15. Arnieaz macrumors member

I agree! I upgraded my white 2.0 macbook to this drive and my boot time went from 40 seconds to 24. Not noisy or hot.
    I'm going to move the drive to my new 13" 2.26 MBP when I upgrade the memory to 4 gig in a few days.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&Description=wd+scorpio+black&x=0&y=0

Arnie

16. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I vote for the 500gb 7200 Seagate too! i had to search all the best buys around me, ended up finding one about an hour away & picked it up today, thing is super fast, quiet, and running quite cool!

Glad i upgraded!

17. apecrazy macrumors newbie

did you do this in your new MBP 13"? i am expecting mine on monday and posted about getting the SSD instead of the HDD but didn't get any replies. was it easy to change the drive yourself? i don't know how to get the OS and everything onto the new one but i am not sure that i could have apple install this for me. so far i love the SSD but it was faster and easier for the agent at apple to do the exchange for me using the std config. can you tell me how yo changed the drive and how you got the OS on the new drive?

18. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

+1

500GB Laptop Hard Drive In-Depth Review

19. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Just ordered the WD 500GB Scorpio Blue, no point in getting any other drive IMO, it's the best out there, until of course the Black version comes out. ;)
    It's normally $100, but it's on sale for $90 at Newegg.

20. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There's only one on the market right now, the Seagate 7200.4, so that's what they have to be using.