Need New Headphones: $50-$100

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by insomniac321123, Jul 1, 2009.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

So my left earbud decided to die on me on vacation last week. Back at home now, I need new headphones. I would like to take a step up from the standard apple headphones, but seeing as I am a relatively broke college student, I don't have several hundred dollars to spend on some awesome headphones. What would you suggest in the $50-$100 range? I might be able to go a little higher for a great deal. What do you guys suggest?

2. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Are you looking for a headphones or earphones?

If you are looking for headphones, get the Bose Triport Over the Ear headphones. I know a lot of people would convince you not to get it but try it out... listen with it at like BestBuy or something and see if it fits your needs. Then buy it ;)

3. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have made it a little clearer. I am looking for earphones, not headphones.

4. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

You should be congratulated for using those white thing in the first place. I never have used them, they don't fit right and to me actually hurt to try and use. I am no audiophile, but i think that you will be happy with pretty much anything in that range over the Apple factory ones. I picked up a pair of earbuds for about $40 and they fit and sounded good enough for me.

5. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

6. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'd go with these. Bought them on a lark to see if the reviewers were right. Work fantastic and a great price

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014QQ8IM/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

eV

Sorry mate. I take it back. I bought the same thing THREE days ago for 24.95. The price is back up to 84.95. For 25 bucks they were great! Sounded as good as the Vibe Duo. At 85 ... I'd probably go with these if you need the iPhone version http://www.amazon.com/V-Moda-Earbud...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246509208&sr=1-2 or the normal version http://www.amazon.com/V-Moda-Vibe-E...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246509208&sr=1-4

75 and 45 respectively.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. kyleh206 macrumors newbie

9. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

The E3 for under 100?

I have the E3c and that was costly back then lol.

10. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah, they have floated on Amazon at one point at $109. On this website, we sorta ignore budgets and just add $20.

They are awful sounding if that is what you wanted to know? Worse then the Bose IMO, I didn't even think the Bass was that great, even though most seem to say its overpowering. I was sorta hoping for just excessive amounts to the fullest, but it was mediocre.

Would take the Shures

12. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i like the bose in-ear headphones or the shures. but mostly the bose one since i dont like anything sticking in my ear. the bose one rests right on top of the front of your ear canal so its nice and comfy

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have the exact opposite experience, the worst Bose product ever made IMO. But it shows when it comes to IEMs, it's a personal thing. I would never recommend them, but for those that love them, keeping rockin' em.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Check out this thread I started:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=710562

Right now these Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200v are listed at around $85, but they drop down to $25 now and then.

I've been using them for around a month now and am very happy with them.

15. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

My post was a little confusing but I second these. Same ones I was talking about

eV

16. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

you can't go wrong with koss. i just recieved a set of headphones from their warranty department as a replacement for a set i purchased back in the 90's. i sent it to them without a receipt and they just replace them no questions asked. amazing.

17. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Ugh... check out shure earphones they are one of the best!

18. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

19. hajime macrumors 68030

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Koss' Porta Pros. Excellent headphones for very low cost. At least half of people here in Finland owns Porta Pros if that matters

21. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Even Head-Fi loves the Porta Pro. Seems you can't go wrong with it, indeed. That is, if you can get past how it looks.

22. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I have the Apple in-ear earphones: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MzE3NzQ2NA and I love them. They have a good flat tonal response which is good for the varying types of music I listen to. They have excellent bass response if you decide to pump the equalizer that way.

The added bonus with these buds is that they work as a handsfree with your iPhone as well as a remote (unfortunately the volume buttons only work with the 3GS) but the controls do work perfectly on the UMBP.

I personally think they are the best value for money if you are looking for quality headphones - but be warned, if you are just looking for volume and bass then they are not for you then rather look at cheaper offerings from skullcandy or philips

:rolleyes::apple::cool:

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...try the JVC Bi-metal in ear phones and the new apple dual driver in ear phones = I like both pairs I have and they are <$70 each if you look hard enough...

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd recommend either going to the SE210's or e3's, the SE115's are a tad bit disappointing.

I'm pretty sure the OP specified earphones not headphones, or shall we say "stereophones."

25. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Wow dude, I think I may buy some of those as a tribute to Michael Jackson. So 90s....