Need New MBP, Can't Wait For Update, Sigh....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordii, Nov 15, 2009.

  1. jordii macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #1
    I've got a hoary old G4 Powerbook, and have been holding off on updating.

    At this point, though, the battery craps out in 45 mins, and the inability to burn DVDs (it's combo drive), run Snow Leopard or pre-Intel apps, fading screen, low RAM, and slow processor are getting to me. I don't like to upgrade until the need is great, but I've pushed the mantra to the wall here. And reading other threads and comments here, it seems I'm hardly alone. Damn, Apples' going to sell a lot of MBPs if there's a major revision!

    So here's my plan. Buy a MBP 2.53GHz immediately. Hold on to my powerbook. Then, as soon as Apple announces its next event (and the stars seem right for Arrandale), sell the MBP, so I can get the most $$ for it (figuring its value will drop AFTER the announcement), and revert to my powerbook until the new models are available. If the new models are a really radical update, consider sticking with the powerbook for a few more months until the first rev appears to address any problems.

    And don't install Snow Leopard on the MBP, because that will make it hard/impossible to retrace back to the Powerbook.

    What are others thinking?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    That's a pretty stupid plan. Why buy a MBP to sell at a loss?
     
  3. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #3
    Dude, if you are still using that old PB, just buy a MBP and be done with it. Any difference between the current gen and next gen MBP will have no impact on your daily use.
     
  4. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    I think your need is enough to purchase a new MBP. You can never have a 'new' computer for long before they are replaced with something with better specs. The new MBP is an amazing machine and if definitely worth it.

    Don't bother with your plan, its a sure fire way to loose money which you don't need too do.
     
  5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #5
    If you want a new computer, buy one. :rolleyes: I replaced my CoreDuo MacBook with a MBP because I wanted a new computer, even though I know an update is probably coming to the 13" line. But for my needs, the current model does everything I could want. The same applies to you.

    Why not just buy a new system, sell the Powerbook, and wait and see what Apple does? If they release a radically updated model next year, and you decide you have to have it, then sell the MBP then and buy it. But buying a new machine to use for four months, then selling it at a loss without knowing what Apple is going to release, is extremely poor logic. What if the massive upgrade you're expecting does not materialize? Then you've taken a loss on a good machine, only to wind up buying pretty much the same machine all over again.
     
  6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
  7. 2927002538 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom
    #7
    Hey OP, I;ve got the same problem, bought a MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) second hand for about £400 and plan do run it down until the MBP updates come along next year. I reckon if you can still use the Powerbook just rinse the thing until the updates come out. The plan you have set up will make you lose a sizeable chunk of money. If you absolutely can't wait then of course shell out. Long story short, I feel your pain.
     
  8. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #8
    I will lose money via this plan. Duh. Thanks. But duh.

    Any purchase involves losing money. Everyone buying a new Mac (or anything else material) loses money.

    My point is that in 1. holding out for a non-incremental upgrade, and 2. following the injunction to stick with what you've got until it's untenable, I've come up a few months short. And what I'm trying to do is MINIMIZE the money lost.

    If I can minimize it, and have a workable computer in the short term (cheapest current model, no SSD), and pay out a bit for something really socko in mid-2010, that would still, in the end, be no more costly than if I'd upgraded in, say, 2007 and then done so again in mid-2010. In fact, less so, 'cuz prices have dropped.

    My variables are: 1. the snow leopard impediment to downgrading back to the PB, and 2. my supposition (which I'm not totally sure of) that a MBP bought now will lose value sharply right as new models are announced, in which place I could get more for it if I sell at rumor time rather than announcement time...and that price differential would be sufficient to justify suffering through a few weeks more powerbook use. If not, hey, I buy now, and trade up to a new one next year. I know I'll lose money. the point is to lose less.
     
  9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

    lionheartednyhc

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2009
    #9
    Im kind of in the same situation. What are the possible changes that will be in the new MBP? (Granted, the answer is completely based on supposition but still..) Just speed?
     
  10. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #10
    See the topmost article on the home page.

    But also know that there may be a significant trade-off in terms of graphics. You can read through the comments to that article for more info. No need to replicate that discussion here.
     
  11. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    #11
    Do you need those improvements? I hear a lot of people talk about "graphics" but what is in MBPs now works fine for all they would ever do. Of course some users have advanced needs due to work and applications like 3d rendering etc.

    Everyone here seems to think it's gonna be several months before any new MBP "may" occur. Unless you just have to wait and see I don't think you would be screwing yourself buying now to replace a PowerBook.
     
  12. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #12
    If you need a new notebook, buy a new/refurbished notebook that meets your minimal necessity right now. If whatever the refresh looks like, see what it is and assess if you want to sell and buy again or wait.

    I dislike the idea of selling off of rumors. The rumor could be a macbook pro refresh is imminent and just waiting for marketing approval. You sell your machine, but have a month or so with either no machine or the non-functional one you currently have.

    The only way you take a major hit selling after the refresh would be if there is another price drop. Given that the latest macbook update keeps the entry price at $999, I doubt a price drop would happen.
     
  13. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #13

    Oh, yeah, i'm definitely buying a new computer this week. But I'm buying the bottom of the line model, no extras, no SSD.

    I'm saving all my love for the next generation. Actually, what I really have my hopes up for is an internal cell modem, with a subsidized price for the computer in exchange for a cell contract.....:cool:
     
  14. rafale macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    #14
    Newer is not always better

    Depending on what you need, the newer ones may not be a better fit for you. I am growing skeptical about the Arrandale release. I am not sure which ones Apple will pick to put on the macbook pros. Their main advantage seem to be mostly the integrated GPU which may be useless on a macbook pro. The latest experience has shown that newer model macbook pros seem to start with some level of problems (8gb memory compatibility/Hard drives SATA issues).
     
  15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #15
    How about you buy a used MacBook or something at a much lower cost with much less depreciation.
     
  16. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #16
    And having to wait for when, late 2010?
     
  17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #17
    This isn't a car. The machine will depreciate at the same rate a new one will the second a new model is out. If I buy a 13" MBP today new or used I can likely sell it for a similar price if and when a new one comes out soon.

    Exactly. The only thing I would have thought would have happened was they would have given the 13" a matte option. As it seems Apple finds the 13" need only glassy gloss I'm not waiting any longer myself.
     
  18. bmstrong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    #18
    Interesting topic. As someone who waits, and waits, and waits, there is something to be said for just getting what you need for today and letting tommorrow sort itself out.

    Who knows how your situation might change next year? Apple's? What happens if they don't release your supergreatawesome next update until fall?

    Pick up something that you like for today. At the very least you can control that.
     
  19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #19
    I frankly don't understand why you're so intent on getting the revised machine, to the point that you're going to take a bath and throw money away to get there. Coming from your current machine the current crop of notebooks will be a major upgrade, and given that you've survived this long with the Powerbook, you clearly you do not need the most cutting-edge of computers...

    If you want to "minimize" your loss, buy a new machine and just be happy with it. If, after the new machines come out, you decide you really, really need one, then revise your situation. At that point you'll be able to make an informed decision about the cost of upgrading and how much money you'll be losing. But this convoluted "buy now, sell on the rumour, and hope for the best" plan is stupid. You sell your computer, and hope Apple does something big. What if they only release a minor update? Then you've thrown money down the drain only to have to buy virtually the same computer all over again.

    If you're dead-set on waiting for the revision, then do as others have suggested and buy a used machine to hold you over. You should be able to buy a used machine and resell it a few months down the road for roughly what you paid for it... buying a new machine now and reselling it, you're guaranteed to lose money.
     
  20. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #20

    I don't really 'care' about matte screens much. If anything, I'd be getting a glossy 15" MacBook Pro right now. I'm just worried that I would be regretting rushing into it after a (couple?) of months. Which I could've waited out?

    Granted, my needs aren't really 'demanding.' But I still don't want to get a laptop which isn't far much superior that the one I currently have. I have an HP Pavillion w/ 2.0 GHz C2D, 4GB of ram and a nVidia 8600M GS.


    I'm sorry if I happen to be only ranting..
     
  21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #21
    I disagree, the prices for older computers eventually begin to steady after they take their first couple large hits. The last generation black MacBook has hovered around the same price for a year now.
     
  22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #22
    Of course you do, even if your theory is misguided at best. ;)

    OP, buy now if you need it. Something newer and better will always be around the corner.
     
  23. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #23

    But now we might be getting pretty close to the corner!
     
  24. stevemiller macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #24
    personally i'd echo the "buy used" sentiment being tossed around. i'm not sure what the advantage of a new machine is if you're hell-bent on selling when the next rev comes through. especially since you're trying to minimize loss.

    anyway, to put things in perspective, i got a first gen unibody. its great but only goes to 4gb ram, which kinda sucks. the newer unibodies go to 8gb, so i could say "damn if only i'd waited one revision".

    but then i'd be seeing these core i5 and i7 processors on the horizon, that may well double performance, and again say "damn i shoulda waited for that!"

    yet my bet is that they'll still be dual core for one more rev before going quad, leaving yet another set of users to go "damn i should have waited for that!"

    obviously its awesome when you can coordinate getting a new computer with a big update, but don't let it drive you nuts. computers double in power every other year; by the time you get to your next system, the incremental changes you'd have gained by waiting a revision will be moot - as i'm sure is evident in the case of your powerbook (unless it was the one RIGHT before the intel switch)
     

Share This Page