Need NYC restaurant/bar suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ppilone, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ppilone macrumors 6502

I'm heading up to NYC on Friday for the Apple iOS Tech Talk. My girlfriend will be meeting me there Friday night and we'll be staying the weekend a few blocks away from Times Square. I'm "familiar" with NYC but I've never spent more than a day there.

Just looking for any suggestions as to some good bar/restaurants to go to while we're there. We'll probably stay in Manhattan for the weekend but willing to take the subway somewhere if there is something we should really go to. We don't plan on doing "touristy" things (I've already seen the Statue of Liberty, etc.) but up for anything.

We're coming up from DC so prices/crowds/walking won't really be an issue. Any suggestions?

Also - anybody know anything about "rush" tickets for broadway shows?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I like Remi and colicchio and sons tap room for moderately priced food. For a pricier option, I like Maze by Gordon Ramsay. It's simple well cooked food. Nothing fancy or anything that will wow you with cooking techniques.

3. dauber macrumors regular

dauber

I lived in New Jersey for eight years and as such made semi-frequent trips to NYC. Even in the five years since I returned to Chicago I've been to NYC a lot. And to this day, there's only one place (besides the Hard Rock Café) where I've found the food to be both not unsatisfying and not bank-account-draining: Junior's. A short subway trip over to Brooklyn will take you to their main place. They have a couple of locations in Manhattan, too, including Times Square, where it's considerably pricier...but the food is fantastic. Really, really good comfort food.

4. rhett7660, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do you like pizza?

Lombardi's Pizza
    Grimaldi's Pizzeria (It is in Brooklyn but heck you can pretty much get anywhere with the subway in NY)

These are restuarants and the pizza is freaking great!

You could also go to the top of the hotel in times square Sky Room which has a full 360 degree view of NY. The room rotates 360 degrees.

Delmonicos for steak, itn't too bad either.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Ruby Tuesday in Times Square is incredible. I don't think I've had nicer Chicken Pot Pie and it was all served by one of the friendliest servers I think I've ever seen.

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

That's about as vague of a question as "What kind of Mac should I get?"

What kinds of food to your love/like? Any you dislike?

What kind of budget do you have? Per Se and L'Atelier Joël Robuchon, or Gray's Papaya and Shake Shack?

7. ppilone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've 'yelping' them as quickly as I can. In terms of the type of food we're not picky. We enjoy trying anything - we'll probably stay away from Italian (except pizza) and really enjoy Asian food. You can't go wrong with a good burger, either.

Any suggestions for a good bar? If I get my way we won't be going to a club so we'll be looking for somewhere to get drinks Saturday night.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

MMMMMM Shake Shack,, love that place!!!!!

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I second colicchio and sons, I thought it was good. We also went Becco, which I would recommend. I have wanted to try out Nobu for sushi.

If you make it up to the Lower East side there is a bar called bar american that has off menu wings that are amazing. Have to order them Kari's way.

The 16th of January restaurant week starts, so try to hit up a lunch at a nicer place if you can, its only $25.