Need one more Mac, advice please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, Jun 28, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have a 15" MBP as my main computer for desktop and portable use. I also have a MacBook Air, I use it everywhere when I don't need the power of the 15" MBP with me.

I'm lacking a computer that will be primarily my desktop. For example when I travel for a holiday I take both my MBP and MBA with me leaving no computer at home. What I need is a 'home base/server computer'. Something I can connect my external hard drives too, my security camera's, usb sticks I download movies to etc.

This computer won't get used much at all....only to search/download movies, store files, power peripherals etc.. I don't like working at a desk much so my MBP and MBA get a lot of use away from my desk.

I thought of a 17" MBP, but after spending some time typing on one I find the resolution is too high for the size of screen it is, for me anyways the native font is too small...

What should I buy? Price isn't really a concern, having a 'great' set up that works well and communicates together is.

I thought about an iMac but it's a lot of computer just to sit on a desk. My wife has one for her office and loves it. Maybe a Mac Mini, I don't know? Would it have the power? Maybe another 15" MacBook Pro, it does what an iMac or a Mini plus it's easy to move around should I want too.

What would you buy?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Your needs don't sound very intense...I'd say a mini w/ maxed out RAM should do the trick.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think the Mac Mini will be fine for your needs. Just upgrade the RAM to 4GB and a larger/faster hard drive in the future if you get one.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'd go for a low end 20" refurb iMac. Nice all in one package, better specs, longer life, etc. You can find them on Craigslist for cheap now as well.

5. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Just a Thought

I'd say sell your MBP and get an iMac. That way you don't loose too much power and gain a desktop. That's if you're interested in parting with the MNP and only using MBA on the road.

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm leaning towards the Mac Pro actually, I have an ACD I can hook up to it ... would be the ultimate.

If I was going to go the iMac route I'd almost get another 15" MBP instead and use it as my desktop... then I could take easily take it with me should I need too.

I dunno.... the iMac and Mini don't appeal to me so much as the Mac Pro and 15" MBP's do.