Need Opinion on new iMAC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ken217a, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Ken217a, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

Ken217a macrumors newbie

I plan on buy a new imac and need some advice. I plan on using it for two (2) users, my wife and me. Plus I plan on installing parallels with Windows 7 Professional. To get the best performance, should I get 8GB Ram and 1TB HHD? Opinions? Thanks, Ken

2. JulianMcC macrumors newbie

about the 1TB hard drive, are you going to put heaps of crap on it? ie videos, games, large programs?

if not get a 500GB Hard Drive, and use an external hard drive as back up/storage.

8GB RAM: My machine runs fine on 4GB, and I game on this, team fortress 2 takes a while to load. I don't know

What are you using this imac for?

3. Ken217a thread starter macrumors newbie

I do plan on doing some video work, to include Adobe After Effects, to make some countdowns and titles.

4. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

8GB is min for ML and W7. Start there, upgrade if you need to (easy to do yourself, and be sure to buy the Mac with minimum RAM to save $$$).

I'd go big on the internal drive, and also get an external for time machine (or some other method of your choice) backups. My system has a 500 GB internal, and I'm using a FW800 Guardian Maximus 2x2TB (hardware mirroring).

All that said, the new iMac *should* be coming along someday. Even if it's just a speed bump, I'd anticipate USB3, Thunderbolt, and Ivy Bridge. Many are hoping for and SSD+HD option (me included). Worth the wait unless you really need it now (or have the wife's "OK" RIGHT NOW, and don't want to lose the opportunity LOL).

5. Ken217a thread starter macrumors newbie

We may wait till Christmas, don't know. Her old XP machine is running slow, very slow. I have a backup machine for her, but she wants a new one. She is a tight one with money, so, when she looked at the Apple, I am going for it!!!(LOL). I will sell my other Windows if need be.

6. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Go with the stock 4GB and upgrade with third-party RAM, which is cheaper. The '10/'11 iMac officially supports 16GB, but will technically support 32GB.