Need opinion on recording equipment

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mbl1, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mbl1 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a few questions regarding recording interface and mics. All I want to be able to record is my guitar and voice at the same time and also separately. This is what I am looking at getting and I was just wondering on your opinions.

For an interface, this is what I am looking at.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=703669

For mics, this is what I am looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-550-551R-...al-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1303782966&sr=1-46

Thanks!

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Both m-audio interfaces and MXL mics are good choices for the beginning recordist. I think you're off to a pretty good start. What DAW software do you want to run with it?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

both those mics are condensers, yes? it looks like that m-audio interface has only a single channel that can handle condensers. is this an acoustic or electric guitar?

equipment aside, separation is the biggest challenge you'll face playing an acoustic and singing simultaneously. i think it's a great way to record a track, but just be aware that you can't really overdub one of the parts and keep the other.

4. mbl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using a macbook pro with garageband and maybe logic.

I am aware of the single channel xlr. Do you guys have other opinions regarding another good recording condensor for both vocals and guitar in the 100-200 dollar range?

Thanks!

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AT 2020

i also would consider picking up a shure sm57. it works well on guitar cabs and for some vocal uses. (wouldn't be the first thing i reached for for acoustic guitar, though).

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Get an interface with AT LEAST 2 XLR inputs.

If you're consider M-Audio, I'd suggest the Fast Track Ultra as a better buy. It costs a little more, but offers you "room to grow" in the future.

Just wondering, do you have firewire capabilities as well? If so, I consider firewire to be the better choice for an audio interface.

If you start thinking of firewire, I suggest you also check out the Echo "AudioFire4" interface. A bit more expensive @$299, but worth the money.

I've been using CAD mics and have gotten very good results from them. You might check out the M-179 -- it has 3 or 4 selectable polar pickup patterns.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

If it's an electric guitar and you want to plugit in directly then you are OK. But I'd go for an interface with two phantom powered XLR mic inputs then you can mic a guitar speaker cab or mic an acoustic guitar.

I like the Presonsus "audio box" but any good brand with specs like that will work.

One thing I look for is that the audio interface work on the Mac with no drivers to install. This way you never have to wait and hope that new drivers are available after an OS upgrade. Devices that are "class compliant" don't need drivers, other then those built into Mac OS.

Bottom line is you need to keep your options open on how to record the guitar and for different kinds of guitar like acoustic, acoustic with pickup, electric with direct plug in and a mic'd speaker. Until you've tried you don't know what you will like best. As an example, I'm building a speaker dummy load/simulator that will have an XLR line out. This will (I hope) capture the amp's tone (but not the speaker's tone) without need of a microphone -- it's good to try stuff.

As for a good vocal mic. Looks like you have the right kind, but the brand is a personal preference thing