Need opinions on dual display setup...I have 3 options

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rotobadger, Sep 18, 2010.

  1. rotobadger macrumors 65816


    Sep 18, 2007
    Well, after figuring out how to run two external monitors from my Macbook Pro I am now faced with a nice little dilemma. What configuration of brands do I want/is cost effective/is the best? I currently have a 24 inch Cinema Display. Now, here are my options:

    1. Keep the ACD and buy a Samsung PX2370 as the second monitor. Pluses are fairly inexpensive, beautiful monitor, easy setup. Minuses are monitor is 23 inch (ACD 24''), will not match the ACD in size and shape, looks different sitting next to ACD.

    2. Sell ACD and buy two PX2370. Plus is that they are perfectly matched and I can buy them for about what I would get for the ACD. Minus is that they are not the ACD, the hassle of selling the monitor.

    3. (Most expensive route) Buy another ACD and get the ~$80 Mini Displayport/DVI adaptor to run with my docking station. Plus is that I have two ACD side by side! Minus is the cost and slightly convoluted setup to get to work with all connections. Also, I've gotta wait for a refurb to come up on Apple so I don't pay full retail.

    My head tells me option 1 or 2. My heart tells me option 3.

    Anyone have similar dilemmas? Any other suggestions that I've overlooked?

    Kind of a fun problem to have buy I've been going back and forth over this for awhile now...
  2. tpg macrumors regular

    Mar 19, 2010
    3 is obviously the option you want - but the question is can you justify the cost? If yes, then go with that if you can, otherwise you're left with the other two...

    I wouldn't sell your 24" ACD since you clearly like it a lot, and your preferred option is to get another one! Some time down the line you might only want one monitor again, and at that point you'd probably be glad if you kept your Apple display :)
  3. dmn8 macrumors member

    Sep 27, 2007
    So what are you using to run two external monitors?
  4. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816


    Sep 18, 2007
  5. valmar macrumors member


    Sep 13, 2010
  6. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

    Dec 1, 2009
    I'm a poor college student, so I would go with option 2 IF I could sell the ACD with no loss to myself. However, I think all of us here would choose option 3 if we had the money for it.

Share This Page