Need opinions on Macbook Pro return

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madisonfaye, Aug 3, 2011.

1. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Hey guys :)

I received my replacement Macbook Pro today and was really upset to find out that the screen is much much dimmer than my previous one, and the colors are more washed out than normal (even for Antiglare). I took it to the Genius Bar at my local Apple store and they ruled my display faulty and offered to give me a brand new laptop. My problem is that they only have laptops with Snow Leopard in stock, and without my 8GB RAM.

Should I just get a replacement through them, and have them upgrade my RAM to 8GB there and have Snow Leopard, or should I return it to Apple and have a fresh Lion install, as well as my RAM and the new buttons (as trivial as that is). What would you guys do?

2. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Did you upgrade the RAM yourself? If so, just pull the chips out and put the old ones in. If not, the Genuises should be able to help you get a hold of one with 8GB of RAM.

As far as Lion/SL goes, it's really up to you. Either way, you're likely to get Lion for free. Unless you're partial to SL for some reason, I'd say go with a Lion one. But if all you can get is one with SL, a clean install of Lion can be performed on there as well.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If your RAM was preinstalled by Apple when you bought it, you will be good with both.
    If you installed your own RAM, then you would have to find your original 4GB RAM before returning.

Either way, you are going to see your issues fixed. Returning and buying a new one would take longer but get you the trivial f3 and f4 keys. Really it's your choice; do what you want to do, you'll end up with the same results either way.

4. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Yeah I bought the RAM through Apple (I didn't want to risk upgrading it myself, I'm not very tech savvy)

My concerns are:

1) Is a fresh install of Lion better? All I see is people talking about that on here lately
    2) Is there a risk of problems with RAM thats been installed after?
    3) Can I change the keys myself to match the new ones if I can find them for sale? Very trivial, but I'd still be interested in doing it

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

1. No. The fresh install of Lion is no different from the upgrade you do from SL. The only thing is the slight possibility of errors with the upgrade from SL.
    2. No, as long as you ground yourself.
    3. Theoretically yes, but Apple won't give you the keys.

6. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Maybe I will just go grab one from the store so I can be sure the screen is fine, and I can just upgrade to Lion after!

Maybe they will even let me switch my keys haha

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i personally hate the new buttons. dasboard is so much more useful than launchpad. checking weather, calculator, system perofrmance etc etc