Need opinions. Should I get into the return cycle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spiderman0616, Jun 1, 2011.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Ok......

I got my first iPad shortly after launch--it got 3 or 4 sizable chunks of dust under the screen. There was very very very very minor light bleed that did not bother me whatsoever and was barely visible. No dead pixels, no glass popping up, no other problems--only the dust. The Apple store replaced this unit as a "one time exception" because the dust specks were "within spec". (This is exactly what it says on my receipt.)

My replacement unit is one of the most perfect units I've ever seen as far as the bleed issue goes. It has no bleed whatsoever. It also has no marks or scratches on the aluminum or glass--cosmetically perfect. It does have a dead pixel at the top center that is not in a place I ever notice--in fact I usually forget it's there and it may have been there when I got it--not sure on that. And I would wait to return for that until I have 3 to insure that they'll actually replace it. But there is a bigger problem.

My replacement iPad 2 has some residue stuck to the under side of the glass. It's like little gray dots (kind of in the shape of the big dipper) under the screen. They are 100% INVISIBLE when the screen is on. When the screen is off, you can only see them under direct light and it's in about a dime sized spot under the glass.

Here's my dilemma--I have gone through this with my iPhone. I can imagine replacing this iPad and getting another one that has its own little issues and maybe some screen bleed. The dreaded OCD return cycle that I vowed I would not get into with my iPad.

What do you guys think--I have a 12:45 appointment at the Apple store today but haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not. The whole situation is pissing me off.

2. Zeos macrumors 6502

Sounds like you already have a good one. Every single unit is going to have some 'issue' if you're going to look hard for it. If it meets your functional needs, just enjoy using it. You'll forget about the blemishes in no time.

3. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I hope I can convince myself of that. I ALWAYS look at those little gray specks when I'm doing my daily screen wipedown at the end of the day.

4. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Anyone else have an opinion? I am 3 hours and 45 minutes away from my genius bar appointment and trying to decide whether to actually skip lunch and go to it, or not worry about it.

5. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Get in there, tell them you are not happy, which you clearly arent, and get it swapped. That's my view anyway. The cost of the warranty is built into the device and you're under warranty.

If the next one has issues, take it from there, you're still covered by warranty.

I dont see anything OCD about wanting a defect free product.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Only you can decide what you can tolerate.

7. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Maybe OCD is the wrong word--I'm trying to decide if my expectations are just too high. I hate doing this return stuff because it seems the next one always has its own nitpicky issues.

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

if you're not happy with it, do what you know is right!

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I agree. This is something only the OP can decide. :eek:

Good luck. :)

10. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I cancelled the appointment and decided not to mess with it. It's a miniscule issue that is not visible unless I really look for it. Chances are that I would get a third iPad with some kind of cosmetic problem (this happened to me several times with my iPhone), more dead pixels, light bleed, or other issues.

In an attempt to stop the insanity, I'm going to keep what I have. I enjoy using my iPad so much that I fully plan on buying every iteration of it that is released. This means that I will have this iPad for a year and will then sell it to Gazelle.com or a friend that will give me fair value. In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy using it.

11. Zeos macrumors 6502

Good decision. Just keep it in good shape and it will eBay very well when you decide to upgrade. Focus on the fun and functionality. Treat yourself to a new game and enjoy!