Need or Want?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mackage, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mackage macrumors 6502

How many of you upgraded to the new MBP just because the geekbench showed a tremendous improvement, but you got by just fine on the MBP you had?

I ask because I have went through this before and I realized after I upgraded that I didn't see any improvement over my previous model because my tasks weren't overly intensive. It was at that moment that I realized I wasted a bunch of money for a number the majority of us really never benefit from.

Same looks, same responsiveness, more money.

2. tcador, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

tcador macrumors regular

What did you upgrade from?

From my experience, I didn't so much need a new laptop other than it was getting slower and taking forever for some tasks, like running a VM. I don't run a VM that often and could get by with the old one until the 8600GT card fails, but felt it was time to upgrade regardless. Moving from the 2007 model to 2011 has GREATLY surpassed any and all expectations. The SSD is lightning fast, CPU handles anything I throw and it, and the screen is perfect. I had the extra $$$ and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I dont see an improvement. The two usb ports are still side by side.....damn you jobs!
    :mad:

4. Derango macrumors regular

Mine was about 80% need 20% want. I upgraded from my original Intel Macbook Pro, bought like a week after they first went on sale. Been 5-6 years. I was looking for an upgrade, but I didn't necessarily *NEED* it 100%. My old MBP's hardware was starting to get a little flakey.

5. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

100% want. However speed is quite noticeable from my 2010 MBP, especially when crunching photos and doing work in Parallels.

6. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the 2.66ghz C2D late 2008 MBP. I upgraded to the top of the line 2.3ghz 2011 MBP with the 128SSD and 8gb RAM. The only noticeable difference I saw was from the SSD. The boot time was great, and the program launch was alot quicker. However, that was all from the SSD and not the processor.

I ended up selling that PC to a friend because my 2.66ghz MBP is fast, never slows at anything I do, and is still MINT. I felt I wasted money. I think I have said it before that those of us that don't do video editing or anything like that aren't going to see a huge improvement if you have a fairly current model. This isn't 10 years ago when you could get a noticeable increase surfing the net and doing normal tasks with a new computer upgrade. We have pretty much topped out in that aspect. Alot of us only need something so fast. I am a techy guy and am very happy with my 2.66ghz unit. However, I am in the market for the new iMac when it is released as my main powerhouse pc. My laptop is basically used for convenience when I don't want to be in my office or for when I travel for business. In my case, the upgrade was unnecessary.

I think alot of people who upgrade when they have a fairly current model, and can't really use the added speed, are wasting money. I saw it for myself. However, to each their own.

I just wondered if anyone else realized what I did. Upgrading after 5-6 years seems acceptable for new styling and the newer technology.

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That's an expensive lesson and all for vanity. At least you got some duckets back by selling the 2011.

I have the 2008 Whitebook; it'll be a significant upgrade for me.