need packing advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sam235, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

hello guys, i am traveling out of the united states for a while, i need tips on packing since i didnt travel for a while. i am going to take this bag as my carry on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GI5CSA

what i need to pack:
    -MBP 15 inch
    -iTouch
    -2 external HDDs
    -4 chips of ram(will xray damage computer components?)
    -Airport Extreme
    -PS3 Slim
    -MP3 Player
    -CD Pocket
    -PSP
    Thanks alot

2. StvenH90 macrumors regular

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510LOC

I travel with this kit, from Pelican. I carry it on since it's TSA compliant (Rarely checked it). But my last job, I would travel allot (2-3 flights a month). I loved that case; tough, good size, and easy to spot. But then that brings me on to the down side... TSA does not bat an eye at the case, as they seen plenty of season travelers with them. But other people look at the case, as if your caring a bomb.

As a reminder, your required to pull the laptop out of the case and place it either on top of the bag or in another bin. I have ran many computers and cameras through XRAY with out a problem.

3. bgd macrumors regular

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'd go with something more like the Pelican case mentioned above. Never been a fan of Mobile Edge bags and the fact that you're going to squeeze a PS3 and a MBP in there should be of some concern. All the other stuff you got is relatively small and the 2 HD's and Airport Extreme might make it a very tight squeeze to get everything in that bag. If you're set on using a backpack, then you might wanna look at the Northface Big Shot since it's pretty big in terms of crap you can put in there. But, since you have lots of delicate items to pack, the Pelican should probably be your first bet.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

x-rays should not hurt RAM. If you're worried, take it out and place it in the bowl but I assume the TSA will want to scan it regardless. Safer to let them scan it then manhandle it in hopes that they find something.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I flew out of LAX with some laptop RAM in my carry on, still in the package, and the TSA didn't even blink an eye on it. They made a bigger deal out of my Volkswagen switchblade key :rolleyes: But no, x-rays will not harm computer components.

Also, I'm not sure if all that will fit in one bag. But airline carryon policy states one carry-on suitcase (the smaller suitcases on wheels) and one personal item (camera bag, laptop bag, etc). If you are checking your suitcase, then you can bring on 2 personal items, in case you want to put your stuff in 2 bags.

7. MacbookProNoob4 macrumors newbie

why the airport extreme? Are you staying in a Hotel? Friends?