Need password to do anything in home folder and its subfolders,and more problems Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iKolja, Aug 13, 2011.

1. iKolja macrumors newbie

iKolja

First of all, i had document sharing turned on some time ago. (sys pref>sharing)
    I had put my home folder to shareable and allowed everyone to write and read. And did that with all subfolders (right click>apply permissions for subfolders)

Then, i haven't used my mac in a week or so, and i turned it on now.
    First of all it always starts up the same.
    Same applications open, safari with same 5 tabs open, system preferences with sharing open, mail,etc.
    Whenever i quit an app, and reopen it it opens the same way (for instance, i close safari tabs,open just one tab, and quit safari. when i reopen it, it has the same 5 tabs that i got after i turned on my computer. system preferences always opens with sharing tab opened, not with the default layout.)
    I have some 1password problems, it says it can't edit my 1pass keychain. It is located in the dropbox folder (which is in home). I tried reinstalling dropbox, but it says it cannot relink my computer because it doesn't have permissions to delete certain configuration files on my computer.
    whenever i move anything from 1 folder to another anywhere in home (and its subfolders) it asks me for my password. for instance if i move something from desktop to movies, or any god given folder.

Please help me :)

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Couple of questions for you.

Have you gone to Disk Utility and done a permissions repair on your OS Drive?
    IF no, then do that first.

If the problems persist, you may need to use a bootable disk of OS X (can be Snow Leopard, or Leopard I imagine), and when booted to the first screen with the menu bar at the top, go to Go>>Disk Utility and again run a permission repair on the OS Drive. When complete Close the Window, and exit the install DVD, reboot, and see if the problem persists.

If it does, let us know, there are more drastic actions to you can take to assign the permissions back to yourself. But try the above first.

3. iKolja thread starter macrumors newbie

iKolja

First of all thanks a lot !
    It fixed some of the problems.

When i startup, safari doesn't open the same 5 tabs anymore.
    But. I still can't unlink dropbox.
    I still need password to move files from foldier to foldier.
    System preferences changes (for instance checking/unchecking something) still don't do anything. If i check "minimize window when double clicking the bar" and turn off sys. pref., when i re-open sys preferences, it's unchecked.

**I've just looked something, and it's not the same with all things in system preferences. When i uncheck/check something in mission control, the changes stay there, but they don't stay in "general".
    I can update perian now though.