Need phone help - real quick!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Mar 31, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

So, my family is getting a new family plan with AT&T since our contract is up.

I've been checking out phones, and I am looking to get a smartphone - one that can browse the web, watch some videos, work as an iPod, etc.

I don't quite want to get an iPhone because one of the things that I really want to do is tether internet from anywhere such as our to my laptop - and I'd have to jailbreak an iPod to do that.

I definitely want to stay away from Android as my friends have them, and they all seem to have compatibility issues and the UI is ugly as sin.

So that leaves me to Windows 7 Phone. I have been looking at it and the only ones available through CostCo are the LG Quantum and the Samsung Focus - the Focus gets better reviews and everything, but it seems to not support 3G nor 4G? So would I not be able to get internet at my lakehome?

I am confused a to what the point of a smartphone without 3G or 4G are, so you can't access the internet anywhere but where there is Wifi - and where there is Wifi there is usually a computer.... Or am I mistaken and the Focus DOES have 3G/4G?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Samsung Focus supports EDGE which is the predecessor of 3G. It is slower but it still works.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

My dad says he doesn't want to support jailbreaking because he wants me to keep my warranty and flat-out won't purchase it for me if I jailbreak it.

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

If something happens that requires warranty then just restore it to stock from iTunes. They will never know.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Err, you don't have to jailbreak an iPhone to tether if you pay for the tethering plan. I'm not sure the Windows phones support tethering. The Android Inspire and Atrix phones do. I have the Inspire, it's an awesome phone.