Need phone replaced but not apple store appointments available

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ajo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

I posted a message on here yesterday about my new iPhone not working from out the box. Hard reset doing nothing etc.

I got it working for a few hours but then last night it froze, turned off and I’m back to not being able to turn it on again at all.

As I am now phoneless I need this replaced but there are no appointments available for a few days at my local Apple Store.

Do you think they will be kind to me if I just walk in and explain the situation?

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

You would be asking them to inconvenience the people who did make appointments. And, that is something they may or may not do depending on the store and your situation. I'd make an appointment and suck it up for a couple of days. But that's me. I'd hate to make that nurse late for her appointment and thus late for work at the hospital where she would have saved my life later if she'd been on time. ;)

3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

This is true but it does mean though that I will be phoneless for 3 days. As it is an obvious problem as the phone wont even turn onat all now I thought a quick swap could be done.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, if you've bought it within the past 14 days (the return window), tell them the problem. If you get a nice person they should be able to "return" your phone, then "sell" you a new one. Really they'll just be swapping it out, but that's technically how they'd go about doing it.

Good luck!

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I am going to give it a go after work then. I didnt get it direct from the store it was sent from my mobile provider, but this hasnt been a problem in the past.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well then what I said will unfortunately probably not work. I believe Apple won't return the phone and go through the process I described if the phone wasn't bought from the Apple store. :(

7. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

I have swapped phones before at the Apple Store all of which were purchased from the mobile provider. This was always done with an appointment though.

Im going in later so I will see. Hoping it will be ok. If not I will get a sim converter and use my old phone until I can get an appointment.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well I hope it works, if it has before don't see why it wouldn't now. I didn't know they would do that, I was assuming you bought from Apple Store but if they do do that, then you should be ok :)

9. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

30 days if you bought it at the Apple Store.

10. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

The Apple store were very helpful and took the time to sit me down and take a look at the phone confirming there was something wrong with it.

They recommended that I go to the providers store to get it replaced (as you have 30 days) as they will give me a new out the box model rather than maybe getting a refurb from Apple. They said if they give some mubo jumbo trying to get out of giving me a new phone that they have in the past walked from the Apple store to the providers store demanding it. All very good on Apples behalf. After the 30 days I can as always go to the Apple store for a fix/replacement.

As it happens they were no problem and a swap was done. However after a little while I noticed quite a dent/scratch in the back (as I can see is mentioned on various posts) I went back to the store and they too could see it as a problem. They opened another box and they saw a dent on that handset too and pointed it out to me! To my surprise they even offered me another colour which I didn't take. A third and last box in the store was opened and this one looked good!

Im very happy and impressed with both these stores. Hopefully this phone should run smoothly. Still a little strange why the original problem was there in the first place. Cant see it mentioned anywhere else. The Apple store said that there didn't seem to be any power going into it.