Need pro apps to purchase with $100 BTS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by treestar, Jul 15, 2011.

1. treestar macrumors 6502

I have a promotional $100 BTS card to spend. I use a latest gen iPod touch, two MacBook Pros, and I plan on getting the next iPhone.

I do a lot of graphic design but I already have Photoshop and it covers all of what I do. I also take digital photos but I am not as serious about it. The other big thing I do is field recording and studio recording, for which I use Logic. I also like to write and build electronics like preamps and synthesizers. I love the New Oxford American Dictionary application on my notebooks. I use it many times every day. OH, and I also have a degree in Mathematics which is a big part of my life, but only right now as a hobby and the goggles through which I view the world.

I'd like to hear some suggestions for great apps in the Mac or iTunes stores that would be very useful or enjoyable to have. As much as I like music, I'm not going to buy something that isn't in a lossless format so I don't want to buy songs. I also would probably rather splurge on an expensive app than fifty cheap ones.

My ideas so far are: virtual analog synthesizer apps for the iPod (which would be fun to have and play around with), WolframAlpha for iPod, or a good dictionary app (hopefully the Oxford English Dictionary if such an app exists). I'm interested in what other useful design or audio apps might be out there, for audio mastering, field recording, image proofing, scanning, and color management. I also thought about oscilloscope software or maybe a SPICE application.

It hasn't been easy to look these up on my own, especially in the Mac store which is terribly unhelpful. There are many trash apps out there so I want some solid user advice, especially on something like WolframAlpha which seems to just interface with their online tool and I don't usually have an internet connection with my iPod. I just want to get something great and very useful toward one or more of my hobbies.

2. Mumstalker macrumors member

I would suggest getting wolfram Alpha. It's great, i personally use it a lot. If you are planning on buying the next iPhone, the 3g will surely make it a better buy, and it's cheap.

Perhaps also the Calculus, linear algebra apps from Wolfram will help.

Perhaps selling the Gift card on eBay and using the credit towards a student license of Mathematica?

I would personally go towards mathematica, but i don't qualify for the discount [just finished my second PhD (Pure Math FTW!)].

On the other hand, i'm also a musician. Have you checked out FL studio? It seems great.
    Or perhaps, i dunno and I'm taking a wild guess. But the knew adobe tools for iPad may work on iPod/iPhone.

Good luck mate!

3. treestar thread starter macrumors 6502

@Mumstalker thank you. i'm not a student right now, don't tell apple. i don't need mathematica and i preferred matlab... which i'd actually love to have again. i just don't have a use for math programming suites at the moment. wolframalpha is a wonderful tool. i'd like the app if it offers a better interface than the website in safari. i haven't tried to access it yet.

4. DKTacts macrumors member

Honestly, I would suggest selling the gift card somewhere else and then using the cash money on whatever you want to. You'll end up getting less of a return (less than $100) obviously, but in my opinion, it would be worth it vs. having to buy a bunch of crap you don't need from the app store.

5. treestar thread starter macrumors 6502

@DKTacts I think the gift card is right for me. I usually pirate software but I don't want to jailbreak my iOS device. I am also clinically frugal, and have never bought an app or song in the iTunes store. This card has me excited to get some things I'd never want to spend money on and could never get for free. The full return is worth it to me over having some cash. If I can't find anything worthwhile I'd probably keep the card for small purchases for the next couple years, like when an artist I like only releases content digitally, or if I do get an iPhone and I could use an app for something. I've had the card for a month. It's not burning a hole in my side, just wanted to do something cool.

6. Mumstalker macrumors member

Wolfram alpha at least on the iPad is a tad better than the website. But it's still just that a glorified website. it's 2 bucks tho.

Perhaps some sort of game will suit your fancy? Borderlands, CoD4:Mw, Bioshock all those are available on Macstore.