Need proper steps to rip, convert, and burn DVD...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by orbdrums, Dec 26, 2008.

1. orbdrums macrumors member

I'm new to creating DVD's but I have been using imToo software to copy DVD's. My question is, what format should a DVD be converted to to enable it to be burned and what software should be used to actually burn the DVD? I have the imToo DVD converter, DVD creator, and DVD ripper. I also have iDVD and iMovie. I have ripped a DVD to .avi but from my reading that will not burn properly to a DVD that can be played on a DVD player connected to a TV. I don't mean to sound like such a newbie but I can't help it, I am. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Are you planning on using the file for anything on your computer or just making copies of the DVD?

3. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

I plan to use some of the avi's for education (editing, transition, etc. and nothing to distribute ever) but copies are something I would like to do although they are dumbware. I would like to know exactly how and what is happening when the files are ripped, converted, and burned. I've been a PC guy since '82 and just recently (4 months ago) had enough balls to let MS go. The Apple world is new to me and I am learning a ton. I like to know WHY something happens because then I can troubleshoot when something goes wrong and do my best to fix. Sorry for the long winded response.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I know it's long but you said you wanted detail.

OK, to be completely honest, I can't tell you everything that goes on in between the part where you tell your computer to burn the DVD and when it pops out of the drive.:eek: But I can tell you everything else. If you plan on making titles and buttons (scene selection, main menu, and play now) then use iDVD. I'm not familiar with imTOO DVD Ripper, converter, and creator but I can tell you too not go into the Apple store with DVD Ripper and say something like, "I can't rip this DVD that's copy protected" because copying copy protected DVD's or anything that's copyrighted is illegal without permission. I think that iDVD is fine to use. Once you have your file in iDVD click the icon that has a portal like cover on it which should "open up" if you click on it. That is the burn DVD button. If you want to put multiple files on the disc to be viewed on a computer (Mac only) make a burn folder (on your desktop is fine since it's temporary), drag the iDVD file and any other files into the folder. Anyone with iDVD will be able to view the project. They will also be able to modify it though. To avoid this, make it a MPEG-4 file, making it directly from your computer will not include titles. To include titles, burn the DVD from iDVD. Then insert the DVD back into your computer. I think imTOO DVD Ripper converts to a .mp4 (MPEG-4) file which you then will drag into the burn folder. If it does not convert to .mp4 download MPEG Streamclip, here, this program is pretty self explanatory. Convert it to a MPEG-4 (.mp4) file and it should include the titles. I'm making this up in my head based on my (extensive) knowledge of video and video editing/formats/the work :)D). Once again drag the files into the burn folder. These file should be a file like .mov, .jpg, .gif, etc. that can be read on all operating system platforms if your students are not all running Mac OS X. If you do not want the titles you only need to drag the .mov file into a burn folder and any files you want and burn it. Keep in mind that if you include files on you DVD, I don't know for sure if it will play on a DVD player hooked up to a TV. I know the files will be able to be read on a computer though. I think I've included everything, I don't have time to proof read all my post especially ones this long. If I have failed to include something that you can not figure out or need clarification you can PM me or post a reply, I would suggest posting a reply so other viewers can read it. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with my best ability to answer you questions.

5. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the lessons...

I will take your teaching and do my best. I thank you and will show you by replying to this thread when I test your input. You are quite the instructor and, in a quiet way, you inspire us all. Thanks again!!

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Thank you. Since I am not old enough to get a job at my local Apple store (one and a half more years) I "train" myself by posting and answering questions here. Luckily there are others here that may know more than myself that can correct me if I am wrong. But don't worry I am almost always correct on things like this that are to do with software. Thank you for your compliments, they are greatly accepted and appreciated. I love taking my years (5 of them) of training and helping others like you. I wouldn't call myself a super humanitarian but I try to be, in and out of cyberspace. :D Thank you again and I wish you the best of luck in educating the youth like myself. If you have any questions at any time please don't hesitate to directly PM me of post a reply here. Once again, I do prefer that you post your questions relating to this thread here so that others can read them. :)

7. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

So far, so good...

Okay, I have successfully ripped a DVD with all titles and chapters written to my hard drive as .mp4's. Now the problem is the audio is not synced with the video. The audio is running a few seconds ahead of the video in the first chapter. All the subsequent chapters are fine. Any suggestions? Thanks, once again, in advance for the help.

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Sorry for getting back to you a little late, I'm on the road and my iPhone was dead. I had to wait for it I charge a little. Make sure that your video and audio play aligned in iMovie or what ever you are editing in. If it is not you obviously need to make some adjustments. Are you playing it back on you computer, someone else's computer or a DVD player?

9. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

No worries. I am playing it back on my computer and I have looked at it in iMovie but it is not showing the audio separately from the video for some reason. Another strange thing is that this sync problem only occurs in the first chapter. All subsequent chapters are fine.

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Have you tried reburning it? The problem may be that it just didn't burn properly. If the problem persists then reboot your computer, does your computer seem to lag when you are playing it and does it play the complete audio or does it skip parts like an half streamed video on the web? I didn't quote catch the part about imovie and the audio. Please reexplain.

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Now, now...

You sir, are overcomplicating things for the newbie here. I also think you may have a few(lots of) misunderstandings yourself, but I'm no one to correct you since you have such an extensive knowledge of everything video.

To the OP (that is, original poster, orbdrums):

You first need to understand that a "movie" DVD is different from a "data" DVD. I mean, you can burn any kind of data to a DVD if your computer have a DVD burner, but a home dvd player will only read DVD discs that have just MPEG2 files (those are the ones that come with .bup, .ifo, .vob endings inside a VIDEO_TS folder when you insert a commercial DVD on your computer). Unless you understand this, you will make an error many people (including my aunt) makes, e.g., trying to watch a powerpoint presentation (or an avi movie, it's the same) they burned to a DVD disc in their home DVD player.

Now, you need to ask yourself what you really intend to do: "Create a DVD" could be different things to different people. E.g., create a photo slideshow to watch on your home DVD player, copy a commercial DVD movie to backup and watch if the original disk ever gets lost or destroyed, or to create your very own masterpiece of a movie and burn it to a movie DVD.

From your original post I understand you want to copy movie DVDs and burn those copies. But then, in a latter post, you also state that you may use the "avi files" for some other purposes. I will try to address this in separate:

First case scenario: you want to replicate some movie DVDs (please note that if the DVD's you are trying to duplicate are "data" DVDs, this is as simple as doing it in the finder, drag from the original, eject, insert a blank DVD, drag the copied files to the new DVD and burn).
    1. Insert the original DVD to your computer
    2. If the original DVD is not copyrighted and it "weights" less than 4.7 GB (or less than 8.5GB in case you have a double layer DVD burner), open disk utility, go to "File", "New", "Disk image from YOUR_DVD", and choose "DVD/CD master" as the image format, with NO encryption. You can subsequently burn as many copies of this image as you like
    3. If the movie is copyrigthed, you'll need MacTheRipper to remove the CR first, then, if it fits on a single DVD, repeat the process of the previous point
    4. If the movie does not fit in a single DVD, you'll need to compress it, unfortunately, there is no free way to do this that I'm aware of. I use DVD2OneX2 for this purpose

Second case scenario: you need to use clips of the movies for different purposes (putting them in your iPod, make them part of a presentation, edit them in any way, etcétera). In this case, you do not need to burn a movie DVD at the end, rather, you need to "work" with the files you'll get
    1. I recommend using HandBreak, in this app, you may choose from different formats (mp4, avi, ogg, mkv, etc.) and different quality settings (that result in different file sizes)
    2. If the movie is copyrighted, you'll need MTR first, then HandBrake

Please bear in mind that you do not need to convert a DVD first to another format if what you want is to burn a movie DVD, if you do so, you'll lose quality every time. If you want to burn "movie DVDs", stick with the MPEG2 format, do not convert them to mp4, avi nor any other format; instead, just remove the copyright, make an image and burn (either with DiskUtility or with DVD2OneX2).

If you've read carefully, I have not mentioned iDVD nor iMovie, not even once. This is because those apps are intended to Create content, not to Copy movies, and therefore, they do not relate to what I understand you are trying to do.

12. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Thank you for correcting me. I wouldn't want orbdrums to have misinformation. I did say that I was creating this based on the easiest way I knew of. You obviously though of an easier way to do so and I applaud you for doing so. The OP (and thanks but I know what it stands for) said he would like to know "exactly how" do burn the DVD so he could troubleshoot if he needs to. And you also have some misunderstandings yourself. Handbrake does rip copyrighted DVDs. You should not need any other application for this. Handbrake also does not allow you to convert to as many different file types as MPEG Streamclip which I highly recommend. You are also telling the OP he needs to download all of these apps that do basically the same thing, like MacTheRipper and Handbrake. All he needs is a Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip, and thats only if it's copyrighted and needs conversion. Please be one to correct me if you think that I'm wrong. I still have much to learn.

13. momurda macrumors newbie

i agree ive used idvd and imovie to burn a movie the problem is the info gets to the dvd but wont play on any device except my mac. so i was told to use quick time pro to convert avi file to mov or vob which ur home dvd player and 360 reads. but my problem is how to use quick time pro. how do i move my movie to qtime. sorry im still learning my mac too. i need step by step help pls

14. Kila macrumors newbie

Kila