Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I will be getting a new 17" unibody MBP soon and since I will be taking this machine to work with me everyday at the office, I will need as much protection as possible. I don't trust people around my office, it is in the open. So when I leave for lunch who knows what might happen. To be specific I am looking for a screen protector (people at my office still can't point at the screen without physically touching it with there dirty fingers), some kind of protection to keep the wristpad area away from sweat and etc, and a keyboard protector that will keep it protected from dust and spills without making the keyboard feel unresponsive or so unnatural to type on, since I use it for work 8 hours a day I must be able to "feel" the keys like if there was nothing ever covering it in the first place. What do you guys reccomend?

I need those 3 form of protection.

1) Screen
2) wristpad area
3) keyboard

This is for the 17" unibody MBP.

I heard about the moshi palmguard, but not sure if they make it for the new 17", and also heard they make a keyboard protector as well. How does it compare to the iSkin Touch Pro?

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
um what about security software. u dont want ppl snooping and installing shet on yr mac

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
um what about security software. u dont want ppl snooping and installing shet on yr mac

not worried about that, i have password protected screensaver that i activate whenever i leave my desk for long periods of time.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
the built in on with os dont have password. at least i've not seen the option. where is it

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
the built in on with os dont have password. at least i've not seen the option. where is it

It's in the Security pane of the System Preferences - ask for password when waking from sleep and screensaver.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
....hire a bodyguard:rolleyes:

Or Durex :D

Jokes aside, you probably won't be able to get anything physical for it - the best advice I could give is to carry some sort of liquid with you (iKlear). They are pretty good for cleaning screens.

I'd keep an eye on the Moshi website, no doubt they will release a keyboard/wrist pad protector soon.

I would also recommend getting the 'Shaggymac' screen protector - see my review (in sig).

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
MacBook Pro Protectors

I would recommend the general plastic protector (the thin film that they sell in bulk at Best Buy for applying on TVs and other stuff) and then cut out the desired shape for the screen and the wrist pad. (You can cover the trackpad too, it will function just as well.) That is what I do, as well as a Speck hard case for the exterior. Just don't cover the keyboard, there are air vents underneath the keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.