Need purchasing advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxray, Dec 16, 2016.

1. xxray macrumors 6502

I currently have a 6+. It's so incredibly slow. It randomly restarts sometimes. Siri/Diction doesn't pick up any audio. The battery dies pretty quick now and is getting worse. I have a slight crack across the center of the front camera so I have a light flare in any front facing pictures. The camera is definitely outdated compared to the 7. I also am sick of having such a large phone and think the 7 is the perfect size. I'm honestly so irritated with how slow and large my 6+ is at this point. I could go on a major rant, but I don't think you guys want to hear it.

I just can't seem to get myself to pay $700-$800 for the 7 when my 6+ is still working fine. Well, okay it's not even working fine, it's just working. Normally, I'd be ok with hashing out the money for a new phone because I know I'd keep it for about 2 years. However, with the rumors of the 2017 iPhone being such a huge upgrade, I'm trying to hold out. But I don't know if I want to hold out for another 10 months being this annoyed with my phone.

The iPhone Upgrade Program is seeming like a tempting option so that I don't have to pay full price for both a 7 and the 2017 iPhone when it comes out, but I'm not sure about it being paid for in credit (I'm 18, never used credit before, and generally try to avoid it and just pay in full instead). What would you guys do in my situation? Deal with it and hold out for the 2017 iPhone, get the iPhone 7, or some other option?

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

If you are not stuck on the size of the iPhone 6+ the iPhone se is a great phone that is blazing fast and costs a lot less than the 7 or 7+.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Pick up a used 6 Plus in better condition than yours to tide you over until the next iPhone is released.

5. macTW macrumors 65816

I'd also suggest a used 6s, that will hold you for at least another year, probably two.

6. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Restore your phone and start fresh. iPhone 6s shouldn't be sluggish how you are describing it. Sounds to me if you do a fresh restore your problems will be gone. It's not a 5s that we're talking here. Give it a try.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you are annoyed with your 6+, you will likely get annoyed with your 7.

8. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

6+ was not a good phone, nothing you can do about it now.

Either get an SE to tide you over till the 2017 phone drops or get a ip7. Frankly, I say buy the 7.

Why?... because some signs are that only one model iPhone in 2017 will be the redesign and amoled and it won't be the smaller 4.7" display.

So get the 7 and say goodbye to that 6+.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2016 ---
    I don't understand why you'd think that...
    Probably the worst advice given so far in this thread.

Take a bow.

9. EdenTan macrumors member

EdenTan

I would say get the SE. It's a really great phone if you don't mind the small size.

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If you're set on getting the 2017 iPhone I'm not sure how much sense it makes to buy a new one now, especially if you're paying cash to avoid financing (I applaud that decision by the way).

It sounds like you may be a little rough on your phones, so I would say get a case so it doesn't sustain any additional damage and ride it out for the next 10 months.

Option number 2 would be to get a used SE and sell it next year. It can be had for cheP and it won't "bleed off" as much value as the 6s or 7 will over the next year.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

To me the 7 was not a huge leap and if bored with the 6, do not see how the 7 would entertain that much more. I do the same things on my 7+ that I did on my 6+.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

There's actually nothing wrong with credit as long as you use it responsibly. Besides, unless you plan on paying for a house in cash, you're gonna need to build up credit history anyway. The iPhone Upgrade Program is somewhat 0% financing anyhow (assuming you're actually interested in AppleCare+).

One recommendation, put the entire amount intended for the iPhone purchase in a separate checking account and auto-pay the credit card (always in full) used for iUP from there. That way, it kinda feels like you've already paid cash in full for the phone. Mind tricks but it works for me.
    OP doesn't seem bored with the 6+. Just frustrated that his isn't working properly anymore and a bit annoyed with the size.

13. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

OP problem isn't boredom.

14. xxray thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. I ended up going ahead and getting the iPhone 7. I was originally planning on doing the iPhone Upgrade Program so I could get the 7 and the 2017 iPhone without paying full price for both, and be able to start building good credit. However, I found out once I got in the store that you must be on one of the big 4 carriers to do it, and I'm on a prepaid MVNO carrier.

So, I did some thinking and decided to just get the phone for full price. 10 months is a long time to be so unhappy with something I use on a daily basis. I can always decide sell the 7 or trade it in if I want to get some cash back to go towards the 2017 iPhone. I also might just keep the phone for 2 years, who knows? This advice also helped me realize that I shouldn't hold out for the 2017 iPhone when the 4.7" iPhone probably won't get all the good features anyways:

At this point, I'm just so happy to have a smaller, super fast upgraded phone. I'll see what I want to do when the next iPhone comes out next year, but I'm so relieved now. Thanks again everyone for the advice!

I had tried this. Factory reset and fresh start. Didn't help much at all. Thanks for the advice though.

15. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Some of 6s+ had battery issue from contamination during battery production. Same can happen with memory and storage cards.

I felt same as you and was having to fight with it, closing apps, turning wifi off then back, which seemed to help. But sold it, bought Samsung, but recently picked up apple refurb 6s+ that has not had any issues (knock on wood). And this time, no carrier plan, bought carrier free and go phone plan saves me $40/month.

I considered 7s but I like to wait six months on new, plus for iOS to also catch up on it.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I had the SE last year. Great iPhone, but the screen size was to limited for me.

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Enjoy your new iPhone. :)

18. Sunny1990, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

@Relentless Power iPhone SE is much better than your iPhone 7 Plus:D IMG_0224.JPG
    The Best iPhone design in the history
    IMG_0223.JPG
    My favourite among the lineup

19. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502

Since you didn't get on the upgrade plan, you can just sell the 7 for about $400 when the 8 comes out and that would basically be the same as giving it back to them.

20. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

You could have saved money by:-

Delete everything of your 6+ back to new and start as a new phone. My 6+ is as fast as my wife's new 7+. Remove all apps you hardly ever use if you need them you can download them free.
    You will regret going back is size but thats up to you. Surly you can make your own mind up.

If you like small wear Apple Watch 2

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I don't think a factory reset will solve the crack on the camera cover or issues with battery life.

By the way, I switched from 6+ to 6 and have had absolutely no regrets. I don't miss the size at all. Granted, I carry an iPad LTE with me all the time and the 6+ was a major downgrade size-wise from the iPad.

22. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I still appreciate the 4.7 iPhone. Great in size and not on the verge of being to large.

23. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

"My 6+ is as fast as my wife's 7+." I don't know about that. I have 7 Plus and I upgraded from a 6S Plus. The 7 is noticibly faster than the 6S. Also animations are smother.

Perhaps you're easy to please.