Need quad G5 late 2005 buying advice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jezzy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jezzy macrumors member

I found a nice quad 2.5, late 2005 (ddr2, pci-e) on our local for sale forums, price is quit reasonable. I know ppc is dead-ish, ex.. ;). I'm currently rebuilding. dp 2.5, built a nice quad hackintosh recently too, and looking at tinkering with a quad ppc.

now, I'd like to know what to test and look for when meeting the seller.

it's got a LCS. and I'm rebuilding a dp LCS as we speak.. ill be looking to see if e moisture pad is wet., seller'says there's no problems..

anything else to pay attention to? how can I test temperature, etc...?

sorry if is is last minute, I plan to get this in the morning! :D

2. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

as you said, check for moisture..

(are you going to be able to remove the cpu shroud? during inspection? not sure i would allow that if it was mine and i didnt know about LCS's and someone came over to look over the unit)

if you are, inspect the general pipes, look for cracking? inspect the clamps, look for persperation, check for crystalization at the back where the lcs meets the cpu.

When its running, listen very closely for chugging from the pumps. check the temps. if its got OSX on it, just bring a usb stick with Istat pro on it and quickly install it. (if they will let you) and examine the temps and rpms of the fams.

temps per cpu should be even +- around 1-2 degrees. (10 degree gap means something is off) and fams should really be ideling... if it sounds like a wind tunnel once booted, dont touch it. (could be recalibaration (simple) or something on the way out (not simple))

then again, your already rebuilding a apple LCS, so you probably know more about what to look for than most of us could tell you...

good luck, I loved my Quad, still regret the day i sold it. (it was by far the quietest PPC mac ive ever owned)

:)

3. jezzy thread starter macrumors member

Excellent response, it'll help me out. Yes im having fun rebuilding the lcs on a 2.5, let me sayi dont want to do it again.. Thus i probably shouldnt buy a quad! Itll end up needing lcs
    Maintenance soon enough! Being 7 years old.. Decisions decisions! Let you know what happens..!

4. jezzy thread starter macrumors member

Well, I ended up not buying the quad, saved my cash.

Luckily that same night, I ended up successfully completing the liquid cooling repair on the dual 2.5 I recently acquired for 40$!

And then, today.. I managed to pick up a FREE DP 1.8 system (not working, logic or PSU), which has become the G5 retromod case for my hackintosh system =) mountainmod tray is on its way..

And also picked up a 2008 macbook for 40$! sadly.. liquid damage but it's in perfect shape. Now wondering if I should strip and sell or invest to get it fixed.

Hm.