Need qucik advice:)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EwanMcTeagle, Aug 14, 2012.

1. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Hey guys,

I was planning to buy a 15" MBP sometime around Christmas, but opportunity has arisen...
    I found a used 2011 (August) 15" MBP.
    The seller bought it, but he found himself using the MBA on daily basis as he travels a lot, so he's selling the 15" and he's in hurry (he needs cash:).
    He'd put it on auction for $1987, but had no offers, so I made him one: $1807
    The specs of the machine are as follows:
    • Hi-Res MATT display
    • Intel Quad Core i7 2.2 GHz
    • 2 x SSD - OCZ Vertex 128 GB 6.0 G SSD + Samsung 256 GB 3.0 G SSD
    • Applecare until 2.11.2012
    • 8 GB RAM
    • Speck see thru case
    • AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM.

I'm pretty sure it's a good deal, but wanted to be sure and ask for your opinion: is this machine worth the $1800?:)

Based on the pictures provided by the seller the MBP looks like it's in perfect condition visually, although I'll see it tomorrow myself.

I wanted to ask you what should I check, inspect before buying in terms of:
    • SSDs as I'm not familiar with them
    • RAM
    • battery.
    Of course I'll welcome any other suggestion: what do you think should I look at closely?

Thanks in advance.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I dont think you notices but 2.11.2012 is over 5 months expired.I think it's overpriced. I wouldn't buy it personally. I'd buy a refurb 2011 with a 1yr warranty personally.

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M18LL/A

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0NM1LL/A

3. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a good deal given the two SSDs and hi-res matte display. However, the SSDs are not matching in capacity or brand, this doesn't click with me. And wouldn't trust the OCZ one that's in there.

When you see it tomorrow:
    • Check if the RAM was provided by Apple, or if he upgraded himself with poor quality brand. Personally, I only trust Samsung, Corsair and Crucial.
    • Check if the screws at the bottom are in good condition. They're easy to butcher, and given the two SSDs, chances are he opened it up several times. This seems like a minor detail, but they cost a fortune.

4. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

I think he meant November 2, 2012.

5. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Sorry, forgot about the different format: in Europe 2.11.2012 means November the 2nd:)

I would love refurbished, but I can't buy one in Poland:(
    Anyways a similar refurbished:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M18LL/A - $1,679.00
    if I would add 2 SSD's (don't need 2, but I could use the 2nd one to put into my 13 MBP) + 8 GB RAM then it wouldn't be that cheap. Adding only SSDs makes it almost $2,000...
    I don't know, seems like a good deal. But I want to be rational about that's why I asked: what should I pay attention to while previewing the MBP in person? I.e.; bad sectors on SSDs, etc. How do I check this stuff.

Thanks for your opinion Orlando.

Best regards

----------

Ok, will check those.

PS. Could you elaborate on the SSDs? What does it mean, that they're not matching in capacity or brand?

Thanks a lot Roman.

6. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I meant one is Samsung (good -- though not 6 Gbps), the other is OCZ (bad -- from repeated experience). One is 128 GB, the other is 256 (can't do RAID without loosing 128 GB).

Also, ask him for the optical drive that he replaced the optibay with.

You're welcome :).

7. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Ok:)

It's a shame about that OCZ, because I've planned to put in it my 13MBP and replace the original 750GB and put that 750 GB into that 15":)
    That complicates things a bit.
    Would you suggest I sell the OCZ and then buy some other SSD?
    I plan to use this 15" as a desktop - with little over 300GB that would be not very convenient although I would find some storage space if needed to.

Anyways thanks once again:)

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Sounds like an OK DEAL. not a steal and not unreasonable. You could probably do better.

But ask yourself this. Would you pay $199 more for the retina (not sure if that's the price difference where you are, it may be more dear there)

9. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go through hassle of removing the SSD and selling it, it's a PITA honestly. Like h00ligan suggested, if I were you, I would stretch the budget a little (especially if you can take advantage of the EDU discount) and go with a brand new rMBP instead :).

You'll get 256 GB of a good quality SSD (under Apple warranty), same 8 GB of RAM (a little faster, under Apple warranty), less noise and heat, obviously a stunning display, etc... Not to mention the full year of warranty.

10. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Maybe I would - though I was planning to buy cMBP all along. Besides the base Retina in Poland is $3 072,10 :)

11. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Ok guys, so I went, checked and... got the MBP:)
    • The RAM is Apple upgraded.
    • The SSDs work great. Hard to look into the future. Even if one of them fails, still got the second one.
    Battery has only 75 cycles with 96% life. Gotta format it a couple of times.
    Apple Care valid until November 2nd 2012

I know the price may not sound as appealing for you in the US, but in Poland and I think in Europe generally it's almost a steal. It cost $500 less than a new, base 15 MBP costs here. Basically what a new base 15" with high res would cost in the US.

Anyways. Thank you all once again for your input and advice.

Really appreciate it.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

True. US citizen is spoiled by cheap Apple price while the other parts of world must pay high.

13. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

@EwanMcTeagle: Good! About the price differences, I completely understand (French guy here)... American prices are ridiculously low compared to ours :rolleyes:.

14. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

True that:)

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Talk to your government about the pricing, then type that from the waiting room at your free doctor visit.