Need Quick 2008 Mac Pro Speaker Advice Please

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdiosVista, Nov 27, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

I'm currently using logitech z-5300 5.1 speakers on my new Mac Pro using the firewave adapter. I really don't like the quality right now, firewave can be very "crackily" at times and does not do these speakers justice so I'm looking for a good set of replacement speakers that will connect to my Mac Pro without any need for adapters or the firewave. This is the first computer I've owned that does not have a pci sound card with all the audio plug slots so I'm having trouble figuring out which speakers will actually work with the MP's audio inputs. I found this 2.1 setup on Amazon and was wondering if anyone could confirm whether or not these will simply plug into the MP without the firewave or other adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227845775&sr=8-5

Also, I'm open to any speaker suggestions, as long as they just work. Thank you!

2. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

3. grue macrumors 65816

Pump your output to a home theatre receiver via optical and use home theatre speakers. You'll be that much happier.

The only caveat is that the only thing you'll get true surround sound out of will be movies, but c'est la vie.

4. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the fast response. The optical output is what I'm not understanding. All the speakers I've ever owned have had the 3 colored cords that plug into a video card. Could you please link to an example set of speakers that have the single optical input so I can get an idea? Thanks!

5. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked the back of my mac and looks like there's an optical and analog output. I have zero audio background and am lost when it comes to this stuff. Do I want optical or analog and if anyone could post examples of systems that work, that would be a tremendous help.

6. Pili macrumors regular

the optical audio out (toslink) is basically all of those traditional analog cables combined into one digital signal. I would go for the logitech z5500s if you want a 5.1 system, takes the digital signal from the optical out no problemo. If you want a 2.1 system then most will just use a standard 3.5mm audio cable aka the analog audio out. There are tons of different 2.1 systems out there as well and everyone has their opinions.

7. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info, makes more sense about optical. I checked out the a-5500 and z-5400's, great looking speakers, a little out of my price range though. The only time I use sound is to play some games, watch a movie now and then, and listen to music. I'm not super fussy, but the firewave quality was not acceptable. Can you confirm is the two Amazon links I posted above would work using the analog output on my MP?

8. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Pili macrumors regular

both of those will work fine yes, just plug the audio cable they give you into analog audio out of the computer. It is just a regular stereo output which the speakers divide between the satellites and the sub.

10. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

THANK YOU!

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A 2 channel stereo amp and speakers is going to be much better for music than a home theater system. Personally I just use the standard line-out into the back of a reasonable amp and some proper stereo speakers and it works perfectly.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Adding speakers to a MacPro is the same as adding any audio equipment to a PC, the only difference being. The Mac doesn't have all the analogue ports a PC would have, instead it goes the more direct and digital route via TosLink - keeps the sound digital, meaning there's less loss.

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

once again i can't recommend enough the harmon kardon soundsticks 2. They are absolutely gorgeous and deliver fantastic sound, I love mine to bits.

Furthermore, they are reduced in the black friday sale on the apple store!:)