Need quick advice: Apple offering a one time return today...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onthecouchagain, May 7, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I need some advice. I'll make this as brief as possible. I purchased a new 2011 Pro 13" back in March, but have discovered either the low resolution, the glass panel, or whatever culprit, is causing me eye strain (I talk about it in this thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1149071).

As a complete 'shot in the dark' I called up Apple just now telling them my story, and without any conflicts, they said they're willing to give me a complete refund or credit toward a trade to either an Air or a larger laptop -- whatever I want.

I was not expecting this response.

So now... what should I do? I'm leaning toward the Air 13", but rumors strongly indicate a refresh in June or sometime this Summer. Should I just get the Air 13" and be happy, or should I get the full refund and wait? Technically, I don't need the computer at this moment (but it would sure be nice to have a computer -- I don't have anything else. My desktop at home is dead). And I'm reluctantly to go larger (15" or 17" are just a little bit too expensive and large for my portability needs).

What do you guys think?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you don't have anything else, I would go for the 13" Air. Even though technically, no one NEEDS a computer (there are other resources like public libraries and computers at work), I wouldn't be able to do without one myself.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I've got a lot of Apple's latest laptops.

My 13" MBA is one very fine machine. That's what I'd suggest.

Or wait and you'll lose, time, money and all for the unknown.

This 13" MBA is fast, stable, bug free and very nice. Just order one and enjoy!

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

If the resolution is hurting your eyes I think the Air will have the same problem, though like said in your other thread I think it might be the small screen size. Unless you can go to an Apple store and try out each laptop I think your best option out of all the choices would be to either get a 17" Macbook Pro or a refund.

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Take the refund, or store credit, until the new MBAs come out. Rumor is next month for the SB MBAs.

6. TenderBranson macrumors member

I'd go for the 15', just for the sake of the matte display. i had a glossy display before and my weak eyes just couldn't handle it.

7. Cole JM macrumors regular

This.

8. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thanks for the responses guys. It makes a difference.

I'm thinking since this is a one-time opportunity that will not be offered again after today, the safest bet is to get the full refund, and then wait it out to see what happens with the Air refresh so that I can make the best decision then. This will also buy me some time to research the 15"...

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yep, take the refund while you can. It gives you the most flexibility.

10. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

PS. I love Apple Customer care. I was not expecting them to honor a refund that's well beyond the 14 day period (bought it March 16th). They said "no problem" so quickly, I was stunned and silent for a few seconds.

This is the first time dealing with Apple customer service for me.

11. Cole JM macrumors regular

Im glad you had a good experience, Getting the full refund is the best choice.

12. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm starting to erase files and whatnot on my Pro... I'm a little sad to see it go.

13. Cole JM macrumors regular

Whatever you buy will be better, fret not, this is an upgrade.

14. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Indeed. Thanks :)

15. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Take the refund. In the meantime figure out if it's the glass or the screen resolution that is giving you the problems. If it's the resolution, then the Air will be worse on your eyes. The 1440 X 900 will be smaller than the 1280 X 800 on the MBP. If it's the glass then the Air or 15" with matte display may be okay. The matte 15" is high-res so be careful with that as well. Definitely get to an Apple store and try all of them out before making your decision.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Wouldn't the 13" Air strain your eyes more, since it is higher res and OS X doesn't have res independence yet?

Anyhow, take the refund and go and try all the computers in an Apple Store :cool:

17. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The return went off without a hitch. Again, really amazed by the outstanding customer service. Got my full 100% refund.

I also spent a significant amount of time playing with the Air 13", and I felt less eye strain with the glassless screen. I'm sure the higher and crisper resolution helped too as everything just looked slightly sharper. The smaller font sizes did not bother me very much. I think getting the full refund was definitely the best choice. Although I miss my Pro, [hopefully] a refreshed 13" Air this Summer will fill the void.