Need quick advice on selling iPhone on ebay, what happens contractually?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSahand, May 16, 2010.

1. TheSahand macrumors member

Hey guys,

here are the facts:

i'm eligible for upgrade in early August.
    Need to get as much money as I can out of this phone to help pay for new phone.
    Black iPhone 3G, Jailbroken/unlocked.

If I sell it on ebay, get a couple hundred bucks for it,
    I just go for the next month until the next iphone is hopefully announced without a phone, still paying my monthly contract, and then pay for the new iphone when it comes out, right?

If i wanted to have a cheapo phone for the month in between, i'd need to pay for the cheapo phone?

and then still pay the monthly fee I pay (family plan) for this line at the beginning of June correct?

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Selling your phone does not effect your contract. You have to pay.

Now, you can take the iPhone data off and save $30 a month in the meantime, if you choose to go without data until you get the new phone.

And yes, obviously you'd have to pay for whatever phone you got in the meantime, be it a $10 pay as you go phone, or whatever. Don't get a 'free' phone from AT&T because that will start a new contract.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Buy the cheap phone outright. You can use your iPhone plan on it. No extra fee.

4. TheSahand thread starter macrumors member

Can i cancel the 30 dollar data fee for my line only (out of the family plan)
    without any extra cost?
    and then just "turn it back on" when I get an iPhone again?

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

At&t will not let you go without a data plan attached to your iPhone no matter what. So you can sell your iPhone now and pay a small termination fee for your contract or keep the line and put the sim into a an unlocked phone or a different At&t phone.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can cancel the data for when you don't have the iPhone.

7. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

That is incorrect. If you do not use an iPhone, you do not need to have iPhone data on the line.

8. TheSahand thread starter macrumors member

I see.
    So if I want to go incognito and just let the month pass and simply not have a phone for 2 weeks, I will still need to pay for the whole family plan.

But if i choose to buy a cheap phone and use the sim in that, then I have to tell AT&T and then go ahead with all that mumbo jumbo.

thank you very much!
    I'm going to sell my phone,
    hold onto the money, go 2 weeks without a phone and then upgrade (hopefully) in june!

cheers

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, you don't have to tell AT&T. You just put the SIM in another phone and go. They will know you are using another phone, but they won't care. You will continue paying your current rate as you always have. Simple, and not messy at all. No "mumbo jumbo".

IF you want to save the data fees during that time, you can choose to call AT&T and have the data plan removed.

10. TheSahand thread starter macrumors member

excellent.
    thank you for the added clarification

i appreciate it

11. bstpierre macrumors 6502

You mean early August, right? Once you are eligible for an upgrade.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

He's hoping it'll get bumped up like others have. There's a thread on it.

13. TheSahand thread starter macrumors member

well that,
    and also,
    if you remember back to the 3GS launch weeks, didn't they allow anyone who was eligible by/before august to upgrade at upgrade pricing? (after everyone got mad and AT&T put out that video)

14. TheSahand thread starter macrumors member