Need quick advice!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bentrider, Jul 8, 2010.

1. bentrider macrumors member

Sorry for the spazzy title. I have a four year old Macbook that is NOT well. Long story short is that the HD is just FULL and the processor just can't handle podcasting anymore. Now it's taken to crashing about three times a day. REALLY freaking out about losing the HD and all the data. (No I don't back it up like I should) Was going to wait until the rumored touch screen iMacs come out and go all out with a big 27 incher. I have an iPad and don't travel with a computer very often anymore. But now my computer is getting bad so...

If I buy a $1200 iMac this weekend and the touchscreens are announced next month I'll beat myself up for weeks. BUT... If I get a new $1200 Macbook Pro I know that won't be replaced as soon. And I'm used to a 13" screen anyway. So...

I'm a writer and podcaster. I do a fair amount of photo editing and SOME movie editing for my stand-up comedy but nothing crazy. Mostly just for internet use. Will the base MacBook Pro do me fine? My current Macbook is ALMOST good enough but I don't want something that's just "a bit" better.

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Dude get the 13" MacBook Pro. The touch screen iMac is just a rumor even though new iMacs are due for an update.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you really want to write and edit photos and music and movies via holding your arms out all the time, just so you can touch the controls?

Get the base MacBook or 13" MacBook Pro, they will do their job just fine, even the current iMacs are somewhat capable to do that.

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I can't picture a touchscreen Mac anytime soon. People brag that they are great, but have you ever actually tried to use one? think fingerprints and such.

5. RT2020 macrumors regular

1) Go buy an external hardrive and make a copy of your stuff or YOU WILL LOSE IT.

2) Out of curiosity what practical reason would you want a touchscreen computer?

[RANT]
    Apple could have come out with a touch imac years ago. Here's why they have not:
    Touch screen is really only practical on a portable device where there is no better alternative. Consider that fingers are not as accurate as a touchpad or mouse and therefore inadequate for more advanced computing. It's also simply not ergonomic on something like an imac or macbook. Think about this: OSX is not just designed for touch, this why Apply did not put OSX on the ipad...it would be frustrating as hell to use. OSX would need to be redesigned in order to work for touch. Have you seen any rumors on a complete redesign of OSX interface for touch? iOS is designed for touch but is still far too primitive to be usefull on a real computer.
    [/RANT]

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Reiterating this. This is the most important thing. You'll be kicking yourself harder if you know that the HDD is going and know you should back up, but yet still don't for some reason and lose all your stuff.

If I were you I'd be panicking and buying an external asap.

7. bentrider thread starter macrumors member

Wound up getting a base version iMac. That huge screen sucked me in. And I do all my mobile stuff on my iPad anyway. My MacBook has been desk bound since I got my precious iPad. And I also bought a 1TB external and set it up for twice daily Time Capsule updates. I'm slowly learning lol...