need quick feeback: macbook pro + ipad together

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shyam09, Nov 1, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

is it stupid to buy both a macbook pro and a ipad together.
    my friend's friend might be able to get a discount on it (hope so)

but is it worth the money i guess (i dont know how to phrase it).
    Now as far as the itouch or ipad goes this is what i have a lot of confusion on.

Since im getting a macbook pro (a gift from my dad :p) this Ipad will be for my mom to use as well as me working on business whenever i can. ( i monitor facebook, twitter, youtube, etc. of the business i work at). i just like the bigger screen with this.

I'm going to be a medical student, so i know that i will appreciate having a tablet to draw diagrams and molecules (which will be hard on the MBP). also this will be a toy too. just playing around when im bored. I'm pretty sure that i might not upgrade to OSX Lion.

i guess my biggest problem is whether or not i should buy both the Ipad and the MBP

the MBP is a definite, as my dad is paying for it.. but im not too sure he will buy the Ipad for me so it will be coming from my own pocket. so should i go with it or not.. this decision is holding me back from ordering and all.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

now how big is the MBP?
    if you had a 17" or even 15" an iPad would make sense, but with a 13", not so much.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) This is a much better post than your other post
    2) please be more accurate; you're contemplating pharmacy, not medical, school
    3) As a luxury item, the iPad is not for you. Be appreciative your dad is springing for a MacBook Pro. Don't try to justify it with the drawing diagrams on it...this can be done with the laptop trackpad. And if you have downtime in school to be "bored", go outside an get some fresh air, particularly with non medical companionship. Save your $.

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

thanks!. yeah im sorry pharmacy and med. schools 2 diff. things haha
    but i dont know, maybe its the fact that i have always wanted a "touch screen device" and well the ipad seems awesome with all the great apps and the zoom features and this and that... i just want it (for no apparent reason)

and after the textbook thing another poster told me, im not going to get this for textbooks then (maybe one or two chapters or something)

but what if i get the MBP for portability and use the ipad for home, work, sheer bored times

im just really confused, see most forums have people saying to get the MBP because they already have an itouch/iphone.. i have neither and have dreamed of getting one ever since one came out, but now that im going to college i think having a bigger screen is better?

5. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

My gf has both a macbook and an iPad. I plan on getting an iPad next year and I have a MBP. The iPad compliments a laptop. You'll love it for simple every day tasks and its smaller, lighter weight size for portability around the house. The macbook now gets a bit of a rest on these daily tasks and it's used for more serious, heavy work only.

If you don't need an all out computer, you can always get the best of both worlds and get a Macbook Air (from your dad instead of the MBP). Then you wouldn't need an iPad.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Are you entering college for the first time (undergraduate) or are you entering pharmacy school after college.

Many different uses between the two.

It sounds like you are entering college for the first time. The ipad can be used for many of the other prerequisite classes for pharm school, like english, math and for taking general notes. Plus books may be available on the ipad as so many people take these classes.

If you are entering pharm school, I think the ipad may be nice to look things up during school. I didn't have my laptop with me to take notes and neither did most people in my undergrad and post grad education. I think most people assume people cart their laptops to classes and take notes on them, but from my experience (granted 5 years old) its just not done due to writing out figures, being able to free draw and the like.

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I have both a 17" MBP, iPad, and iPod Touch. Of the three, I feel that the ipod is the most redundant. (Since I also have an android phone).

The iPad is really nice for leisurely surfing, watching movies/TV, etc. It is really nice when I travel due to the long battery and light weight.

8. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I have both a 15" mbp and an ipad. Some of the time, my mbp goes with me; all (almost all) of the time, my ipad does.

9. utcoug macrumors member

You may find you use your MBP less. That's what happened in my home. However, the iPad is an excellent device and you shouldn't regret your decision to have it in your arsenal. It just depends on how much disposable income you have and how much you are okay parting with.

10. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

to you and everyone who has helped me out-- thank you

yeah as far as my income goes. im pretty darn sure my dad will not pay for this ipad (only because my sis won't be getting one and it wont be fair in his eyes) so it will be coming from my pocket, which isn't too bad i guess. honestly speaking im a bit stingy, i guess. i need to make sure i save money and if its worthwhile- thats who i am.
    the same has happened to the MBP- i was planning to buy a MBP with SSD then i changed my mind and am deciding to get it with HDD and upgrade in 2 years.

now that i really think about it (since im going to undergrad school but major is pharmacology)i might be using the MBP for school and all and the ipad just for everyday normal tasking, like surfing and pics, music, games.

so is it worth the investment?
    maybe ill strike a deal with my dad, he puts $100 down, i pay the rest or maybe a 30-70?
    wish me luck guys!

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Same here, I only bring my MBP with me when I'm not going to be home for a few days, so pretty much every week when I'm at the girlfriend's for 3-4 days. Otherwise, my iPad follows me everywhere pretty much.

12. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey sounds like you have given yourself al the reasons you need to get one, i am waiting until the next generation and hoping for cameras in it, but i have found the ipad feels completely different then the iphone/ipod touch. Its quite a neat device and if you think it would assist you and its in your budget, go for it.

13. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

im getting so many mixed replies and im just getting even more confused

help!!

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) You WANT an iPad (and are trying to justify the luxury purchase)
    2) You don't NEED an iPad (but are trying to justify the luxury purchase)

It's easy. Blow your money like most would, or be the responsible starving student and save your money for necessities so that when you are on your own making money, you can blow your own, hard-earned money in any way you see fit.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you are commuting, ipad would be nice to have between classes and if you need to type something up. Would be less weight than a MBP.

It is a luxury though.

Maybe get a MB air and an external display?

16. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

that is absolutely correct man! haha. but still getting mixed advice (i guess its hard to get one straight answer cuz a lot of people have different opinions>)

i asked my sis about this and she told me its not necessary to get one, after all i am getting the MBP
    i haven't dared asking my dad because i will only hear one thing: "Do you need it, is it necessary" and i can't justify my approach with him in either way. I am really confused now.. what a life!

17. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

well i have decided to go with the ipad and the MBP (ill just pay for the ipad using my cash?!)

thanks ;P