Need Quick Help - OWC SSD in my Optical Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lbeck, Sep 25, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I know to install a OWC SSD in one of the four hard drive bays of a Mac Pro I need to purchase an ICY DOCK tray to make it fit the 3.5" bay.

But I want to install the SSD in one of my empty optical drives, do I need the ICY DOCK Tray for that as well? Or something else?

2. MFDoom macrumors member

You could get something like this

But I personally plan to just stick it in the empty bay with no mount. It is an SSD so no moving parts!!

3. covrc macrumors member

SSD in Optical Bay

I have my new OCZ Vertex plugged in and just laying in my bottom opitical bay. No problems.

4. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I got a lian li setup from newegg
    posted some pics here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015412

works nice the two screw holes dont match up ? but two do this is to install in the bay ? but it fits tight enough that its not a issue ? depends on if you want to save $20 over the other solution ?

:)

5. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I just bought the adapter that OWC sells (it's just a Star Tech bracket). I think they sell a couple different adapters for the lower optical bay, actually, but I bought the kit and that comes with the Icy Dock 3.5" and the bracket that makes it fit to 5.25".

This one looks like it holds a mechanical + SSD or either/or:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MM35A52CMB/

Of course, you'd require additional cables for running both at the same time in addition to your stock optical drive.

6. AfterglowMP macrumors member

2 drives in optical bay?

Among the brackets mac sales has is one which mounts both an SSD and HDD in the optical drive. Why would this be if there's only one cable?
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MM352A52ST/

Thanks

7. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

if you put your optical drive outboard in a case then you can use both cables :)

8. fensterbme macrumors member

+1 on using the OWC Multi-Mount, mine just arrived today, I can fit two SSD's inside the lower optical bay (I just don't have the SATA ports, so one of the SSD's will live outside in an eSATA enclosure).

You don't have to use an Icy Dock anything... there are a blue million ways to mount 2.5" and 3.5" hardware in optical bays, sure Icy Dock might have a solution but saying you *have* to use something specific isn't true.

9. AfterglowMP macrumors member

I'm looking mainly to optimise output and render times from FCP but the SSD will help re opening FCP projects and/or - ah! - rebooting. Next is internal software raiding of two of remaining four drives. Hitting edge of my budget here so what's faster: 0-raiding 7200 drives or investing in 10000rpm velociraptor drive?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just got the OWC adapter to mount 3 SSDs in one of the optical bays. Works great. Sure it only has mounting hardware for 2 drives, but 3 will fit if you suspend the third between the other two.

Alternatively you can get a regular 3.5" drive and mount the SSD together on the same adapter. Both work great.

11. AfterglowMP macrumors member

Alphaod - how are you going to connect all those drives? Where are the extra SATA cables? Aren't the mounts in question from owc only mechanical pieces, not electronic? Hope I'm mistaken.

Thx

12. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Thanks Strausd! I'm going to just lay it in the optical bay. Eventually I'll buy the OWC Multi-mount that fits 2 SSD'd or 3 according to another member.

Where do the extra cables come from if you want to hook up 2 or 3 SSD's in the lower optical bay? Assuming you have to add more cables ... how do you do that?

13. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Agreed............... spending $20 on a 5cent piece of plastic is just WRONG! :)

JMO, but unless you are accustomed to moving your 40+ pound MP around there is no reason to mount an SSD in an adapter.

cheers
    JohnG

14. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Good point. I'll have to take precautions if I ever move my MP since the SSD will just be sitting in the bay. But other than that it will be good to go!

15. AfterglowMP macrumors member

I just went ahead and ordered the so-called 'powder blue' owc mount for two drives for the optical bay in spite of suggestions to let it set unsecured on bay floor. It's like going out without sunglasses on a cloudy day, every time I decide I won't need them, the sun comes out. So it is I'm sure with the mount. If I'd decided against it, the next week some twist of fate would have me picking up the MP and carting it somewhere only to hear 'Ker-lunk!" of the SSD inside smashing against the side.

The question of cables to connect more than one drive in opt bay without an extra controller is still a mystery. There are only two SATA connections in this part of the machine, right? Both nominally for DVD burners?

16. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Yeah, I like the thought of the SSD being secure, also, just so I don't ever have to worry about it.

As for the dual-mount, some people remove their DVD burner and power two drives instead, I'm guessing. Throw the burner into an external enclosure. There must be a way to feed more power, too, isn't there?

17. cutterman macrumors regular

Yes, with this

18. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

from my link above if you want a cheap way to mount a SSD in the optical bay ?

[​IMG]

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There aren't any extra ports, so I use a PCIe RAID card to do the job.

And the mounts fit any standard drive. That includes SSDs. (The cable ties are only used since the middle drive doesn't have any screw mounts to attach to)

[​IMG]

The old adage: "Don't just a book by its cover."

It's actually solid anodized aluminium.

20. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

21. cutterman macrumors regular

Very nice looking. That is the setup I am going for. BTW, what are the black zip ties for?

22. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Alphaod ... thats a beauty. Three SSD's in that thing is awesome. For now I'll leave my single in the optical bay by itself but I'm going to order that mount so I can eventually stack three of those bad boys. Thats awesome.

23. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

to hold the middle drive :)

24. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Is it? They look much higher than the middle drive. Alphaod?