Need quieter graphics card for Mac Pro 8core 2006 model

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maclamb, Jun 27, 2009.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I recently was able to purchase an 3Ghz 8-core Mac Pro, 2006 model.
    While the machine speed is everything I had hoped for, the sound is a bit more than I had hoped for.
    I'm suspecting that the graphics card- the Radeon X1900b model is the culprit.
    I do work in Final Cut, but no games. I would like a quieter graphics card, but one which will still performs adequately with Final Cut

Any suggestions?

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

I had the same problem with my 3870, so I bought an Accellero S1 fanless heatsink ($20) and installed it on my graphics card and now its completely silent and actually runs cooler than it did with the old fan cooled heatsink.

The S1 works with a wide variety of graphics cards, check if it works with yours, or if you can find something similar that does.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I had been looking for quieter heatsinks myself before my 3850 bit the dust. My new 4850 is quiet so I am know longer looking.

Anyways I too would say go for the AccelS1 Rev 2. You only need a case with good airflow. The Mac Pro definitely meets that requirement, unfortunately my modded G4 case does not. If you look at the customer reviews it has numerous great reviews.

4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb