Need RAM Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BryGuy73, Jan 19, 2014.

1. BryGuy73 macrumors newbie

I have a 21.5" Mid 2011 with 4GB of memory.

I'm running Maverick. I use Parallels to run some windows applications. I typically use Firefox with lots of tabs, itunes always in the background.

I was contemplating upgrading my memory because I get the beachball spinning quite often and it seems like I need to restart my system every other day to get it running smoothly.

I know that my system is currently running 2 2GB DDR3's, with 2 open slots.

I know my system supports up to 16 GB, but hat are my options for upgrading?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, your Mac will support up to 32GB of RAM. Your options are to add 2*2GB, 2*4GB or 2*8GB in the empty slots or to replace the memory that it has and put in 4*8GB.

Depending on what you feel you need I would add 2*4GB or 2*8GB to the empty slots. I doubt you would need more than that and if you do, you can replace the original 2*2GB later. This is the most cost effective way to upgrade the ram.

3. BryGuy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I clicked on Apple Symbol --> About This Mac --> More Info --> "Memory" Tab --> Memory Upgrade Instructions

it sent me here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US#4

and for my Mid 2011 it says the the Max Memory is 16GB

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Yup but it does support 32GB. Apple have lied about it for years. My 2008 iMac only supports 4GB according to Apple but it really supports 6GB.

5. Bear macrumors G3

6. BryGuy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link.

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You are correct - Apple says the maximum is 16GB
    However, other folks have tested different memory, and the slots do support 8GB sticks, up to a max of 32GB.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

It's fairly common for computers to support more memory than the OEM suggests, and Apple is no different in that respect.

Finally, if you need more RAM, anything that you can add will help out.
    2x2GB - 2x4GB - (2x8GB!) it's all good!

8. rodrigoluizb macrumors member

I have the same mid2011 21.5 imac and it has 20GB of RAM: the stock 2*2 and i added 2*8 on the other 2 slots. It works flawlessly, and i'm actually thinking to upgrade and max it out to 32GB