Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloroxbleach4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Buy the computer that you want. If you got 1200 for graduation, buy the MBP that you're wanting.

Maybe take her into a store and show her how the OS works.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Why do you need to convince your mom?

If you are going to college, you should be able to use YOUR money to buy what computer YOU want.

If you don't have your own money, get a job, start saving, etc. Your mom is not obligated to spend more money than she feels necessary for your computer. If you want the more expensive hardware, pay for it on your own.

My .02

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
You can compare specs and such, but the primary reason to buy a Mac over a PC is for OSX.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I'm kind of at war with my mom of why I should have a MacBook instead of a Windows laptop...

First off, I want a MacBook Pro 13" i5. ($1099 Edu discount, + free $100 rebate printer, $100 gift card)
I love the OSx system and I find it a lot more comfortable and organized than Windows computer. The software, such as Final Cut, iWork, and iLife, etc. are pretty amazing.

Then my mom says she found a Samsung with a core i7 that is super fast.
I don't know the exact specs, but I'll take a wild guess. Probably 4GB ram, 14" screen, and 310M Nvidia. Around $800, but she say something about a friend that can get it down to $600 or $700.
(But it's not like we can't afford it or anything, I got $1200 from all my family members for graduation to buy a laptop, plus a bunch of other scholarships)
I assume battery life will be 2-3 hours like the rest of the Windows laptop I've seen. Maybe even 1 hour if I'm video editing. And the laptop weighs aprox. 3-4pounds.

(I hear Apple from personal experience that says MBP can last 8-9hrs idle, 5hrs doing surfing or microsoft office, 3hrs video editing, 2hrs of pure rendering.)

My major in college will be Computer Engineering and I am hoping to work for Apple one day. Even my college computer lab all switched to iMacs and many companies are considering switching to Mac OSx too.

So... what should I do?
Stick with Windows? Or keep trying to persuade?

(P.S. My windows desktop specs are on my signature, but unfortunately, I can't take it to college because my sister needs it)

First of all, HUGE props for your mom for recognizing i7 processors. That is WAY cool.

Secondly, I really think only argument to your mother should go something like this: "Computer is the present and future. And kids are the future. Have you seen the trend at college of what these kids use these days? That's right. MB is rising in numbers on daily basis. Can you imagine interview question starts off with, do you know how to use mac?(I don't know if this is true or not)."

On serious note, You can tell her that if she buys you a PC, you guys will have the same conversation next year sametime(and for next 4 years).
She buys you MBP, this discussion is gone for next 4 years(and then you turn around and work during college so that you can continue to upgrade yourself by selling your current mbp with little bit of money you saved each year).

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Why do you need to convince your mom?

If you are going to college, you should be able to use YOUR money to buy what computer YOU want.

If you don't have your own money, get a job, start saving, etc. Your mom is not obligated to spend more money than she feels necessary for your computer. If you want the more expensive hardware, pay for it on your own.

My .02

hahaha... Still trying to find a summer job... applied to over 20 jobs and still no luck yet.
And apparently I'm still a Mommy's boy.... which I'm really starting to hate. Especially this past month, she's like trying to control me. -_-

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
hahaha... Still trying to find a summer job... applied to over 20 jobs and still no luck yet.
And apparently I'm still a Mommy's boy.... which I'm really starting to hate. Especially this past month, she's like trying to control me. -_-

It sucks, but you have to realize that a mac is a WANT at this point in your life. A windows PC is what your mother is willing to pay for. Perhaps talk to her and see if you can pay the difference between the machines?

Perhaps you can convince her to spend a bit more on the mac because you will receive $100 for the MAS where you could buy iWork and stuff which will save you money not needing to buy microsoft office like you would need to on a windows machine. Also, there is no need for anti-virus which also saves you money. The free printer is also $100 value that would need to be purchased in addition to the windows pc. All of that together really makes the prices a lot closer.

You can also look to used or refurb machines to save some money, although then you would miss out on edu and b2s promos.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
dude. i hope i don't come off sounding like a jerk, but i think you gotta take this opportunity to grow up and take responsibility for your own life. you are going to college majoring in computers, so get specifics!

1) you ought to have this info down cold and be able to tell us model numbers, specs, exact prices, etc. how can you make an informed decision without information? there aren't that many laptops with an i7. it's not a guess--it's something you should kow already. step up!
2) you ought to know that apple loses most of the time in price comparisons. why are you bothering with that line of argumentation?
3) you ought to be more specific here about why the osx is better for your needs. i don't mean "better organized." i mean something like (in my case) "global keyboard shortcuts that enable me to input macrons in any application."
4) call your department for goodness sake. talk to students in it (get contact info from department secretary) and ask them their opinions.

make an informed decison based on your own analysis, and regardless of what your mom says, stand up for your convictions. right now it sounds like your mom has thought this through more than you, and i'd listen to her...

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
If you don't know what Mac you want and have good reason, then maybe your mommy knows best since she knows of specs. :rolleyes:

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
It sucks, but you have to realize that a mac is a WANT at this point in your life. A windows PC is what your mother is willing to pay for. Perhaps talk to her and see if you can pay the difference between the machines?

Perhaps you can convince her to spend a bit more on the mac because you will receive $100 for the MAS where you could buy iWork and stuff which will save you money not needing to buy microsoft office like you would need to on a windows machine. Also, there is no need for anti-virus which also saves you money. The free printer is also $100 value that would need to be purchased in addition to the windows pc. All of that together really makes the prices a lot closer.

You can also look to used or refurb machines to save some money, although then you would miss out on edu and b2s promos.

dude. i hope i don't come off sounding like a jerk, but i think you gotta take this opportunity to grow up and take responsibility for your own life. you are going to college majoring in computers, so get specifics!

1) you ought to have this info down cold and be able to tell us model numbers, specs, exact prices, etc.
2) you ought to know that apple loses most of the time in price comparisons. why are you bothering with that line of argumentation?
3) you ought to be more specific here about why the osx is better for your needs. i don't mean "better organized." i mean something like (in my case) "global keyboard shortcuts that enable me to input macrons in any application."
4) call your department for goodness sake. talk to students in it (get contact info from department secretary) and ask them their opinions.

make an informed decison based on your own analysis, and regardless of what your mom says, stand up for your convictions. right now it sounds like your mom has thought this through more than you, and i'd listen to her...

1st Quote: Well, first off, it's my money that I got from my graduation, she's just fighting me to spend it more wisely. But in my case, I think a MBP is a wise investment for college. I do hope a MBP last longer than 1 year, compare to all my other Windows laptop... so yeah.

2nd Quote: What? How am I supposed to know the model numbers and stuff if all she told me was a Samsung i7 processor? I only guessed on the rest of the specs cause there's only limited amount of i7 Samsung with that price range.

Price range is around $300-400 difference.

Didn't I just say that OSx has software that I like using and it's more simple than Windows? Plus my college's computer is all switching over to Macs, so I hope to learn them soon instead of spending hours in the computer lab figuring out how Macs work. And I hope that also one day that I can work with Apple. I find it ironic to try to work with Apple with a Windows computer.

And my mom knows nothing about computers. The only thing I ever tell her about computers it to look for i7 cause it is like the best processor around.

Call what? Didn't get that part.

If you don't know what Mac you want and have good reason, then maybe your mommy knows best since she knows of specs. :rolleyes:

What? Read the post more closely, unless my typing sucks.
All she knows is that the Samsung has an i7, nothing more.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
1st Quote: Well, first off, it's my money that I got from my graduation, she's just fighting me to spend it more wisely. But in my case, I think a MBP is a wise investment for college. I do hope a MBP last longer than 1 year, compare to all my other Windows laptop... so yeah.

Well, like I told you, add up the total prices for both machines. The mac is going to cost you $1100 + tax and will include the computer, printer, and $100 towards software.

What is the price of the PC? $800? Then add in $100 for the printer, $100 for MS Office, $60 for anti-virus (don't really know of AV prices these days)... now you are looking at $1060 for the PC, not really much of a savings. Perhaps that will encourage your mom to go for the mac.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
2nd Quote: What? How am I supposed to know the model numbers and stuff if all she told me was a Samsung i7 processor? I only guessed on the rest of the specs cause there's only limited amount of i7 Samsung with that price range.
research. you don't win debates and you shouldn't make decisions based on guesses. i7 samsung laptop? the rf series? get specific.

Didn't I just say that OSx has software that I like using and it's more simple than Windows?
how is that specific. that is the same criteria i use to evaluate vanilla and chocolate ice cream. go deeper. ask some "why" questions. know thyself and thy os :)

Plus my college's computer is all switching over to Macs, so I hope to learn them soon instead of spending hours in the computer lab figuring out how Macs work.
all? i doubt it. but, i have been to a lot of computer labs, and i can say that i rarely see more than half macs. i have never seen one that only has them. but, if this is accurate, you just made your case. you'd be a fool to buy a pc and go to a school that only has macs, and your mom would be doing you a disservice.

And I hope that also one day that I can work with Apple. I find it ironic to try to work with Apple with a Windows computer.
i'd disabuse yourself of this notion asap. training for a tiny number of positions that people all around the world are shooting for isn't likely to end well, no matter how brilliant you are. and, on top of that, i'd bet a lot of people there are quite familiar with other operating systems. you don't get far being ignorant of the competition (see rim for proof).

And my mom knows nothing about computers. The only thing I ever tell her about computers it to look for i7 cause it is like the best processor around.
ok. kudos to her for finding a deal, though.

Call what? Didn't get that part.
your school. call the department at your school, ask to get in touch with students or teachers. most departments have faculty and students who serve in is capacity. for example, i'm a dept. rep. and i field questions from incoming students.

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Take the money, go buy the MBP, and bring it home. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. That lesson being, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

I don't see what the problem is. You got that money for graduation from family members. Your family members earmarked that money for the purchase of a laptop for college. By buying a MBP, you're still honoring that agreement. Your mother's point of view is, "he can buy a Windows PC laptop and still have money left over to buy books for the first semester of college". It looks like she's trying to save herself some money.

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
all? i doubt it. but, i have been to a lot of computer labs, and i can say that i rarely see more than half macs. i have never seen one that only has them. but, if this is accurate, you just made your case. you'd be a fool to buy a pc and go to a school that only has macs, and your mom would be doing you a disservice.

Most, they're converting to Mac. Aprox 80% of all computers are now iMacs.

i'd disabuse yourself of this notion asap. training for a tiny number of positions that people all around the world are shooting for isn't likely to end well, no matter how brilliant you are. and, on top of that, i'd bet a lot of people there are quite familiar with other operating systems. you don't get far being ignorant of the competition (see rim for proof).

Hah, if you can't dream big, where can I work? Seriously.
That goes the same for Google, Facebook, Intel, Cisco, etc.
I'll work my way up there if I have to.

your school. call the department at your school, ask to get in touch with students or teachers. most departments have faculty and students who serve in is capacity. for example, i'm a dept. rep. and i field questions from incoming students.

Already asked, most Engineering students are buying MBP. Aprox more than 50% of them has MBP out of 400 I have asked. Professor recommends Mac, but he knows that some people can't afford so Windows will work too. (New 2015 class)

research. you don't win debates and you shouldn't make decisions based on guesses. i7 samsung laptop? the rf series? get specific.

Can't really do any research when she only has limited amount of info. -_-"

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
the decidion is easy then. go with the mac. professor recommended it. other students using it. and, you like it.

as for dreams, dream for success but plan for failure. life is rarely a straight line from point a to point b (a good thing) and it is best to be prepared.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Hug your mother and lovingly whisper in her ear: "I'm getting the MacBook, OK?"

Relationships are more important than computers so you want to make her feel like you're not just being rude about the decision.

Explain to her that this is not the place to save money because those laptops don't have enough battery life and you're gonna need that for school. Also the trackpad is more ergonomical and doesn't give you carpel tunnel syndrome.

Other computers mess up and get viruses and you don't want to lose all your schoolwork before midterms or finals or something right??

Cmon mom, it's my money and it's very important I have a dependable computer.

You should start your own business and drop out of college after awhile anyway...

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You don't, nobody "needs" a macbook pro.

Is it a better built computer that will last longer and work better than the PC your mother is recommending you? Probably. Is that worth the price difference? To some, it isn't. To me, it is.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What you need is called a job. Get one of those and you won't need to nag mommy for your needs.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
It's called the process of individuation and differentiation from the family of origin.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Well, like I told you, add up the total prices for both machines. The mac is going to cost you $1100 + tax and will include the computer, printer, and $100 towards software.

What is the price of the PC? $800? Then add in $100 for the printer, $100 for MS Office, $60 for anti-virus (don't really know of AV prices these days)... now you are looking at $1060 for the PC, not really much of a savings. Perhaps that will encourage your mom to go for the mac.

I don't think you can buy MS office with that $100 (correct me if I am wrong) and so you will have to cough up that $100 anyway. A free antivirus will work just as well. Apple sells the 13 inch base model for $1249 (student discount $1149). Me personally, I would not buy that printer, I would not buy an inkjet printer. The Epson Stylus (the $99) printer which would be free with the printer discount will end up costing you much more than a simple colour laser printer. 4 ink cartridges changed every 3 months @ $15 a cartridge costs a ton ($180). You might not have to change them that often but still. I have the Epson Artisan printer and it is the worst printer I have ever had, slow (like 1 minute to start or turn off), buggy as hell, can't print anything half the time. It uses like 5% of the ink cartridge to print a full page picture (the page is noticeably heavier 2 grams in, 5-7 grams out). But its a good deal. If you already have a printer then you obviously do not need to buy one should you take a windows pc.

Also note that microsoft is giving away a free Xbox to those who buy a $699 windows pc. This can be sold for $150-180. I live in Canada and at the future shop they are selling hp laptops for $599 with the free xbox (get around this buy selling the $799 laptop with a $200 discount).

Also note that the OP said that he can get the pc for $600-700.

So it would look like this

Windows pc ($600-800) + MS office ($100) + printer (optional if he needs- $100) - xbox ($200 [store price]) + antivirus (OPTIONAL [ ~30-80]) = $500-880.

Mac ($1149) + MS office ($100) - printer ($100) - gift card ($100) =$1049

Difference is quite large.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
A few years ago, my parents pissed their pants when i spent 1200 on an imac.
Then i came home about a year ago with a 1200 macbook pro, and they thought i was just insane. They loved their little cheapo dells for some reason. Now, my dad is going to buy a 15" macbook pro for my mom, tomorrow actually.

Just keep working on her ;)

crush500

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Virginia
First off you don't need a Mac. You'd survive just fine with a PC. However you want a Mac. Nothing wrong with that. Macs are awesome machines.

If you really want a Mac you'll find a way to get one. Even if that means you find a way to pay for it yourself. The best thing to do is to explain to your mom why you want a Mac over a PC. The worst thing she can do is say no. Best case scenario is she agrees.

If you really want to sell your mom on a Mac you need to take her somewhere to use a Mac. My parents thought I was crazy when I first told them I was thinking about getting a Mac. Then I took to a Best Buy to look at them and they immediately changed their minds. Now they're planning on getting a MBA whenever their current laptop dies. You can post all the specs, pictures, videos, etc you want to but nothing will substitute the experience of seeing and using a Mac. There's nothing that compares to it. They are wonderful machines.

kirkers

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Belfast, UK
Get your Mac mate, you know you want it ;)

Too many people sit comparing specs and prices and ultimately end up regretting having settled with cheaper rubbish. I have had various PCs over the years and got by just ok using them BUT then I wised up, swallowed the "premium" pill and jumped up to Mac...so far, no regrets, totally happy, just love the whole system experience and if I can help it, have no intention of going backwards :D

One persons opinion but I have learned that you should definitely go for what you want and don't settle for less if you can afford it because you'll only end up spending even more money buying what you really want later :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.