Need recommendation for a MFP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rhodan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Rhodan macrumors member

I'm looking at getting a multi function device, something like a Canon PIXMA MP980 or Hewlett Packard Photosmart C8180.

Can anyone provide any recommendations on the two I mentioned above, or recommend anything else? Which is cheaper / better for inks?

It will be used mostly for photo printing and scanning.

Thanks

2. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Can I as why you want a MFP?

I have burned many times on MFP's mostly because of driver/application support(or lack of). In the long run they never seem to work as well a separate printer and scanner. However this is just my opinion.

3. Rhodan thread starter macrumors member

I'd rather not have 2 or 3 seperate devices.

So can anyone offer anything advice?

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I purchased an HP J6480 in November of last year based on Cnet's review. It was simple to install and configure on my network, to which it is connected wirelessly. I have not tried to send a fax, but it passes the diagnostic so that feature should work. I have used the remaining features and they all work from both OS X and Windows machines.

The only problem I've had with this printer is a minor one. I use X-Rite color calibration tools to color manage my photography workflow. When I scanned a printer target using the OS X application, it did not produce a file that the X-Rite software could consume. If I used the Windows software to scan the document (via a VM), then the output file was fine and I could create a valid ICC profile from it. That's a fairly minor niggle, one which most people won't encounter, and there is a workaround. My experience with this problem also revealed that HP's support sucks, but they're not alone on that...

edit: sending faxes works just fine too