Need recommendation for image editing software/Problem with GIMP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marcel-v, Dec 24, 2007.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

I am in need of a good freeware photoshopping application and was recommended GIMP. However it requires that I install X11 (which I'm not sure what that is), but I have tried to install it and it fails, giving the message that a newer version already exists on my machine.

Are there any solutions for this?

Can anyone recommend any other good image editing applications? I'm trying to re-size (pixel, height, width, etc.) images as well as save them into different formats. Some editing and effects would also be great.

2. jbryan macrumors newbie

If you've already got X11, it should work. Gimp takes a while to start the first time you open it. It will open X11 and then nothing will happen for a minute or two, but then Gimp will start. After that it will start right up every time.

3. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, when I start GIMP it will prompt me to locate X11, the problem is that despite my computer telling me its already installed, I am unable to find it in the applications folder.

4. Mistershark macrumors regular

5. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

there is no x11 folder or app in the utilities folder unfortunately..

6. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I'd have thought GraphicConverter would be a good bet for just resizing/filters/a little bit of editing.. It's not freeware but it's close (likewise Pixelmator is pretty cheap)

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/ - Seashore is a cut down version of the GIMP minus the X11 dependance, so that might be just what you need if you don't want loads of power-features anyway.