need recommendation for speed test site

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by colodane, Nov 3, 2015.

1. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I've been using speedtest.net for several years to measure my internet connectivity speed. But it needs Flash and I've turned Flash off to improve my Safari behavior. Can anyone recommend an alternate speed testing site that is reliable, free and does not use Flash ? Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

The one above, and testmy.net works well. It's usually about on par with the good old speedtest.net, but more consistent from what I've been able to tell. HTML5 based.

4. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Thanks, folks, for the suggestions.

I tried them both - with surprising (at least to me) results.

My internet connection is rated at 5 Mbps maximum, and I routinely get about 4.5 Mbps when using speedtest.net both on my iMac with OS-X and with iOS on my mobile devices.
    So that is what I've been considering to be "normal".

With speedof.me it is showing a maximum download of 0.4 Mbps - about an order of magnitude lower than I would have expected.

With testmy.net it is showing 32.4 Mbps both up and down - totally impossible.

I'll certainly explore all of these in more detail later when I have more time. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on why I am getting these results?

Thanks

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Here is another to try. I just did this one and sppedofme and testmynet and I get the 30/5 I am paying for (or slightly better) on all three.... so I don't think anything is wrong with the test sites.

6. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Thanks, Weaselboy. Yes, I'm sure the sites are fine and it is something on my end. Will have some time tomorrow to look at things more closely. If it makes any difference, my internet provider is a "fixed wireless" service - basically wi-fi from an antenna on my roof to a larger on on top of a building a few miles away.

I did just now try the dslreports speedtest site and it gave me almost the exact (and believable) results I was getting with speedtest.net. I clicked on "cable" since they didn't have fixed wireless as an option. So I'll use that site for the time being.

Thanks again for your help!

7. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Tried the suggested sites again today with more success.

SpeedOfMe now works fine for some reason, and both it and the DSL Reports speed test seem to give comparable and repeatable results. TestMy still not functioning here, but I have at least two alternatives, so no concern. All of this is on my Safari browser.

Also, DUH, I can also use my Firefox browser. This one works on Speedtest.net, DSL and SpeedOfMe with similar readings. TestMy doesn't work here either.

So I'm all set. Thank you kindly for the suggestions!