Need recommendation for USB Harddisk for AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pMay, Apr 6, 2007.

1. pMay macrumors member

Hello Friends!

I need a recommendation for a USB harddisk for AirPort Extreme. Its size should be 120 GB. Does anybody habe any experiences?

Thanks!

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Cheapest is to buy a bare internal hard drive (3.5" is cheaper than 2.5") and a USB 2 external drive case. It's not hard to put the two together. You could buy locally and save shipping, or take a look at the bare drives and cases here:

http://eshop.macsales.com

If you just want an external drive that's all set and ready to go, LaCie always seems to come recommended. (I'm happy with mine.)

You might consider getting an external drive (or empty case) that has USB 2.0 AND Firewire (maybe even FW800). Firewire is faster than USB 2.0 for long transfers, and even though the Airport unit only has USB, you can use the faster connection for direct transfer with computers, or for future-proofing.

3. pMay thread starter macrumors member

And do you have any recommendations on a concrete USB 2 external drive case?

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Not really, other than the Firewire consideration. I just buy what's cheap, occasionally springing for more based on what looks durable or sleek/compact. But even a cheap plastic case does the job.

5. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked up a 400gb from OWC (Mercury Elite Pro). Nice unit, but when I hook up to the Airport Extreme "N". It always spins. I did a quick search and found others having the same problem. Is there a setting I am missing so that the drive doesn't think it is always being accessed?

Seems like the drive isn't going to last a long time if it's spinning 24/7.