Need recommendation for WIFI router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iNewb, Oct 22, 2009.

1. iNewb macrumors newbie

Hello all!

Im buying a new iMac, have an iPhone and an older pc laptop, and I need a new router to connect them all wirelessly.

Is the Airport Extreme the way to go? I've looked up some reviews, but because its always revised, Im often just finding reviews for older versions of the router. I have picked up that a recurrent issue is problems with mixed win/mac enviroment. Has this been fixed with the newest version?

Are there any other routers that would be recommendable for my equipment?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Airport extreme is a decent enough router, the advantage there is you can maintain it within OSX, other routers require access via a web page. Other routers can have more complex interfaces which is both a good and bad thing. Access to more specific settings, but can easily cause issues.

I also like the linksys routers and always had good luck with them. I am currently on a airport extreme and I'm pleased with the signal strength, performance and UI

3. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I would also recommend the airport extreme, or even a time capsule if you need an external network hard drive. If you don't want to go down the Apple router route, buy yourself a good linksys router, they're usually pretty reliable and have lots of options for configuration. Personally though, I have an airport extreme and I haven't regretted buying it.

4. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

I just bought an AEBS this past weekend (before the update unfortunately... plan to return this weekend though). I've been running it in a mixed Mac/PC environment and it works just fine. Range is actually better than the Netgear we had, and the dual band works flawlessly as expected. So I second that suggestion.

5. iNewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, I will go for the Airport Extreme.

Simplicity for the win!