Need Recommendation on DVD Ripping & Burning Software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsoto, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

I am new to the mac. Just switched from Windows this month. Can you please send me some recommendations on software for ripping DVD's that I own that I can convert to say for iPod, iPhone, etc. I also would need DVD burning software to make backups of the DVD's I rip as well.

Any help or directions with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. nickjf20 macrumors member

You have handbrake, which can convert almost anything to a load of ipod presets. For commercial dvds you will need fairmount which removes the copy protection, but it isnt the best for newer blockbuster dvds.
    Mactheripper is old, but still works well, but again has problems with new dvds.

Ripit is a paid app :eek: but is by far the best and will convert and rip anything with one button.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Handbrake will rip commercial DVD`s just fine as long as you have VLC installed and running.
    Of course it is illegal to do this even for personal use... ;)

4. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

5. ThinIce macrumors member

I use Rip It and Handbrake for DVD's and MakeMKV for blue ray. I use Plex or VLC to play back the MKV files. I have had good luck with these programs and have a rather large "on demand" movie library.

6. jhate83 macrumors newbie

I use MacTheRipper and Handbrake. Im new to MAC too. Used to use DVD Decryptor and Handbrake for Windows, everything was great. Now my audio is off a little bit.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Handbrake is awesome for encoding

For ripping, MacTheRipper (free version) is pretty dated
    Mac DVDRipper Pro and RipIt do a pretty good job of ripping and burning

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

For ripping DVDs I use iSkysoft iMedia Converter. It's a paid app, but very affordable and I've always found it easy to use and gives me good results. For DVD burning, I use Burn, which is simple and free, but does pretty much all you want it to do.

9. Busa Mann macrumors newbie

Try WinX DVD Ripper Platinum works great for me.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

MacX DVD Ripper Pro - they had a promotion a while back and were giving it away free - not sure if its still on? Anyway this rips DVDs that are also copy protected as well.

Handbrake - good video converter.

Roxio Toast - excellent for copying, burning, etc.

11. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

MacX DV Ripper Pro is still free, for another 12 hours anyway!

http://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-ripper-pro/

12. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I use RipIt and find it be well worth the price. It's fast, has great developer support, and works with most DVDs. Handbrake is great,although I use DVD Catalyst and Crossover for conversion due to it's batch and rename capabilities.

13. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

14. case2001 macrumors 6502

I am not an attorney but I thought there was a recent revision in the US .....

An update to this ruling was issued to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act on July 23, 2010. Video remix artists and other noncommercial users of copyrighted material that falls within Fair Use doctrine are no longer shackled to a DVD copy protection measure that prevented them from legally ripping a DVD for such purposes. Source wikipedia.

So is it still questionable to rip movies I own for my use?

Not trying to start a war just asking.

Thanks