need recommendation (text editor with keyword completion)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by janus19, Sep 17, 2009.

1. janus19 macrumors newbie

I really need some help - just switched to a macbook pro from windows.
    i used notepad++ for editing for a custom file format - i could enter all my keywords, operators, comment styling and it would give me the choice on how to colorize every part of it and give autocompletion for all of it too - its called a User Defined Language.

I have tried every mac editor that i could find, but i couldn't find this in any of the programs. did i just miss it?
    i couldn't even get textmate or bbedit to give me a list of sql keywords for autocompletion. and i understand that these are the best editors available?

please help me out - could really use a powerful native editor for development - one that can at least give me simple autocompletion for the main languages (if it will give me function calls - that would be just perfect :)

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

VIM

I know there are a few others out there, but that's all I use. On the Mac it is a bit better then on the PC, if for nothing else the standard copy and paste short cuts work. :D

I'm drawing a blank on the one that so many others like... if I think of it, I'll post again.

3. janus19 thread starter macrumors newbie

VIM - yes - a wonderful tool, but it would be great to have something more integrated into the desktop - i'm more used to using vim in a terminal over ssh :D

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

MacVim, it's not your terminal tool anymore. :D

Here is a link to some good tools : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20533/mac-text-code-editor

BBEdit and Textmate are two I have heard good things about.

5. janus19 thread starter macrumors newbie

they are ok, but as i said - for such editers - they don't even offer keyword completion for the basic languages, for example sql.