Need Recommendations for a PVR

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zflauaus, Jun 1, 2007.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

So I'm looking to get rid of my old HP computer. I am currently using it as a PVR and it's gotten really unstable lately, it's really, really loud, and it is also power hungry. Now, some may say, "Why not just add some quiet fans and what not?" I say, because once I do that, I'll be pretty close to the price of a new DVD Recorder.

I'm looking for something that can get Digital TV. I want this to last for a few years. I would really like all the formats (DVD-/+R/RW/RAM), but at the least I'll take DVD-R/RW.

I'm also looking to buy an :apple:TV, but that will have to come whenever I get broadband (for podcasts).

So, what do you guys recommend? Or should I just stick w/ my HP for a while longer?

BTW, I would think about an eyeTV, but I have an iBook G4 and don't want to put that much strain on it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't think anyone markets a DVD recorder with a built-in ATSC tuner. You may need to get a PVR.

3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, let's strike that off the list. So then, does an eyeTV hybrid on an iBook G4 create to big a demand on the proc?

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'm pretty sure you need a G5 or intel proc for the EyeTV Hybrid's HD.

Get a refurb mini?

5. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, crap-freakin-tastic. I guess a Refurb Mini/one from eBay would do since I was actually looking to buy the Apple TV after I got broadband and a DVD recorder, but this way I won't have to worry about syncing content as I'll already have it. Just let me get one thing right, what is the Mini's power Consumption? Isn't it like 85w?

6. ThePhage macrumors newbie

FYI, Panasonic has just released DVD Recorders with ATSC/NTSC tuners. It can record OTA HD broadcasts to regular SD DVDs (-+R/W and RAM).

B&H & Amazon has them, just search for "Panasonic DVD ATSC." There are a few reviews worth reading on Amazon.

-Jake