Need Recommendations for USB HUB + External HD's, etc

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CoryARamirez, Jan 9, 2015.

1. CoryARamirez, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

CoryARamirez macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I'm a proud owner of a new Retina 5k iMac and am currently looking to get some accessories now that I know for sure I'm in love with the machine. I opted for the 512 SSD and may be setting aside 100gb or so for Windows with bootcamp so I'll be needing an external HD.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a solid USB hub that will also allow me to charge my phone, iPad, etc?

In addition, I'm also on the lookout for a solid 1 TB+ external HD, compatible cable, and whatever else I need to a solid setup. I've never used external HD's before as this is my first SSD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

iPad requires 10 watts to charge with its screen on. when it talks to a mac it says hey man please give me 2100 ma @ 5v xoxo -Ipad

so if you want a usb hub get one like this
    http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Charger-Combine-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B00FYQ2T5Y

im all for usb hard drives, but usb enclosures block smart. i lost at least one usb drive because i had no idea that the drive was failing.

I'm sure SSD in enclosures are okay. but if you are using mechanical hard drives in usb enclosures, take the time to back them up often

do not use "hybrid" hard drives in usb enclosures, they want 5v @ 700 ma and in order to get that much current from usb, it first actually has to ask for it. and it the enclosures they sell in stores do not ask the usb hub for extra power

so when using traditional hard drives in usb enclosures of the 2.5" make sure its 5v @ 500 ma or less

3. CoryARamirez thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, would you recommend a Thunderbolt external HD?

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

hmmm

if you don't mind the extra cost for the cables , yes

its like $39 just for 1 cable

usb cables are $5.95

thunderbolt is 6 devies @ 18 v @ 550 ma, thats enough power to run 4 hard drives without needing a powered hub

if you just want 1 hd, then usb 3 would be good enough

more people will chime in, but i think like real professional types that do a lot of video editing use thunderbolt