Need remote access advice..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zen.state, Feb 2, 2011.

1. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Hello all,

I have been a Mac user for almost 2 decades but until now I have never needed to remote into a Mac not on my local network.

I first looked into gotomypc.com but found you need at least OS 10.5 or higher on both ends. The Mac I need to remote into is my Aunts on the other side of Canada and she is running 10.4.11 Tiger.

The most common free solution I have found is Chicken of the VNC but it has not been updated since 2006. The main thing I need advice on is what is the best client and what to tell her to do at her end.

I am doing research myself but would greatly appreciate any advice or personal experience people have to offer. A free solution that isn't too hard as till this is setup on my Aunt's G4 tower I have to walk her through everything via phone.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Assuming it's a low level user you're trying to connect to and you just need basic screen sharing, I would go with logmein.com Free, easy, reliable, works with 10.4.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... except LogMeIn Free doesn't offer desktop sharing, file transfers, screen blanking and a few other features that Teamviewer provides.

5. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Not free but good value is the Apple Remote Desktop - good price right now on the App store.

I use it to support my Dad's IMAC in the UK.

The only additional thing you might need is a free subscription to DYNDNS which can monitor your Aunt's IP address - assuming she does not have a fixed one.

6. zen.state, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will look into all of it as I love having options.

I just got off the phone will apple tech support and was told that with 10.5+ you can use built in screen sharing to access Mac with 10.4+. This is the same idea as what I have used on my local network with a 10.5 system remote accessing a 10.4 system. He said I just need her ip and for her to set up a remote access account on her mac.

From what he said it works the same over the net other than a drop in performance. My Aunt and I are going to attempt this later this week when we both have more time.

Thanks again everyone and please keep sharing ideas/options.

7. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

I am happy to report that the info the Apple tech gave me (above post) worked perfectly. 10.4+ supports remote desktop and 10.5+ has a built in VNC client called "Screen Sharing".

If you are doing 10.4 to 10.4 though then you would need a third party client like Chicken of the VNC which is free.

So the moral of the story is that with 10.4+ you can easily do remote computing for free.