Need Remote Desktop Help.... Weird issue...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JustGretchen, Aug 24, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

So I am trying to use ARD to access my parent's imac in another state. They are behind a router and the appropriate ports are forwarded for their IP in the router settings.

I have forwarded the specific ports to their machine for both iChat file transfers/screen sharing, and Apple Remote Desktop, making sure not to overlap any of the port listings.

The strange thing is that ARD will not find their system when i put in their WAN IP under the Scanner part of ARD. It's really strange because this used to work about 6 months ago but now it does not and nothing has changed with their system or internet settings.

I can screenshare with them via iChat without any issues whatsoever. I thought that one was overriding the other but I don't see why iChat would override remote desktop.

I am an experienced network and ARD user and this is really boggling my mind.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything I may be missing???

2. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

well you can all completely disregard this.... my dad transposed a 6 and a 9 when he typed in his WAN IP over iChat to give it to me.

I just got right in by double checking his IP........after 2 hours.....grrrrr