Need reputable site(s) for iphone screen replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by getlow, Nov 26, 2011.

1. getlow macrumors newbie

I'm crying over my cracked screen right now and I'm looking to buy a screen and replacing it myself (im confident and quite handy). I'd like to know what are reputable sites or sellers that sell quality replacement parts for the iphone for a good deal.

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

3. getlow thread starter macrumors newbie

Are their screen's oem? 149 is pretty steep. Any other alternatives or dealers that sell oem?

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

For an iphone 4? $150 and up sounds about right.

Honestly I would just go back to apple and pay the $200.

5. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

6. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

If you can get the back replaced in store for £25 then assuming you can also get the front done?

7. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

the back side of the iPhone is very simple to replace. It is just a piece of glass. You unscrew the two pentalope screw and put on the back side.

the front glass is entirely different. It is fused/glued to the digitizer or LCD. When replacing you gotta replace both at once and require dissembling the whole iphone to get to it.

the front glass+digitizer cost much more than the backside.

its probably best to cough up the 199 to apple for replacement if taking apart the iPhone is too intimidating and time consuming.

8. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

$140 is about the legitimate going rate for an iPhone 4 display assembly (front glass + digitizer + LCD + frame + home button).

The $60 difference between buying one and having Apple do it with known good parts and a certified technician is worth it.

No legitimate shop will charge much less than $60 an hour, and even then Apple corporate techs (as far as I know) are the only people certified to repair an iPhone (ie. they don't certify any outside shops). If you're iPhone 4 is under warranty, having Apple replace the glass will not void it. Having someone else do it will.

9. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

You cracked the screen (LCD Combo) or the back plate. Totally different man.

DO NOT spend more than $50 on the front on iPhone 4 now. The cost for them is like US$30 the most.

try this out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-iPhone-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f9e8071#ht_2401wt_985

Its an easy process but don't pull the flex cable apart and damage the LCD cable. This is the most tricky part.

Good luck!!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You get what you pay for.
    If you want a cheap chinese knockoff screen that dont function right then go for the cheap ones.
    Ifixit has legit OEM replacements.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

applepartsstore.com also has good OEM parts for decent prices, but they are more limited with stock than ifixit.

12. getlow thread starter macrumors newbie

How reputable is http://applepartsstore.com? They seem to have good prices. Anyone have experience with them and know if they sell genuine parts like they advertise?

13. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

OEM replacement? you sure?? Where did he get the OEM parts?? Foxconn or apple?? BOTH FoxConn or Apple will not sell the original parts outside their network...

NO one can get legit OEM parts (original apple parts) except Apple!

iFitix just has a nice packaging and charge you for 3 or 4 times more!!

----------

Same here too.. they said its OEM ... yes... OEM Specification ... if not.. ask how they get the Original Apple parts!!

14. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

foxconn doesn't make the LCD panels, they assemble them into the iPhone.

the display panels are made by LG , Samsung , Sharp and Toshiba. IMO, these lcd panels are much harder to make cheap knockoff copies unlike phone cases with cheaper plastic etc. But still, no guarantee , you might be getting a panel that didnt meet apple's quality standards, but still operate fine.

15. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

You are partially right here. The LCD are mainly supplied by Toshiba and Sharp from what you called the OEM. For 3G or 3GS, you are right because the LCD are separated from the digitizer. However, for iPhone 4, the digitizer and the LCD are fuzed together. Even thought you can get the Toshiba or Sharp LCD, still useless. You need a completed front panel, and who assemble them together?? FOXCONN

FYI, I have 4 repair shops and we repair at least 100 iPhones a day!!

All the parts that we are using are NOT originally from APPLE or Foxconn!! ALL OF THEM ARE AFTERMARKET products. DONT BE FOOL by iFixit... you pay more doesn't mean you get better quality parts!! You only get a better packaging!!

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There are many cheap knockoff screens out there that the digitizer doesnt work or respond right to the touch and the glass is not even glass but plastic in some cases and many other crappy quality parts available online.
    Not every aftermarket part out there is created equal.

17. MrRon, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

You are right but you know what is the cost on plastic vs glass?? US$1.5 is the difference.

Malfunction digitizers are always there!! Just send it back for replacement. Can ifixit or other so call premium replacement part suppliers guarantee all the digitizers are 100% working??

Even though we have tested all the digitizers before installation, the digitizer still not working properly after installation is completed. The flex cable may be bend too much and cause damaged during the installation process. Its not about the quality of parts. Its about the skill or luck sometimes!!

18. getlow, Nov 29, 2011

getlow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the information everyone. Your statements hold true MrRon. After checking out many sites and sellers on ebay and looking at the text on the flex cables on the so called genuine they are obviously not the same. Even when they say Apple on them, the fonts and alignment are not the same as the REAL oem lcd and digitizers. And knowing how strict Apple is with their manufacturing it's very believable that no one can access their real parts. So I believe the ones on ifixit isnt real either. I guess all we can hope for is seller who sells a high quality replacement and has good quality control.

19. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

To be fair, when you order the parts, please check first by plugging in the flex cables. If it works, then do the remaining procedures.

Installing the LCD FLEX cables is the most tricky part. You need to bend the LCD flex cable before you can put the phone together. That procedure easily breaks the LCD flex cable and thus no signal can go to the LCD, and you just write off the panel.

Some of them are very hard and brittle. You can tell before you install it.

Why don't you just find a nearby iPhone repair shop and do it for you?? You can easily get it done for less than $90 while saving all the rusk and hassles. Craigslist has tones of them.

Most of the time, they will offer a 30 day warranty for you.

Good luck!!

20. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Even when you are at fault you can go in and get a $200 out of warranty replacement from apple.

Seems like a deal all things considered when you are dealing with the 4 or 4s.

Additionally when you do that you can get AppleCare plus at that time because you are receiving a phone from apple. Could be a deal if you think it will happen a couple more times.

Apple replacement phones aren't new per se but at the moment the 4s replacements likely are. Doesn't matter IMO because apple refurbs use genuine parts and you won't be able to tell it might have been used.

21. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

I agree .. as a customer I would go directly to apple store and pay $200 or go to a nearby repair shop with warranty and pay less.

WATCH OUT: some so called APPLE AUTHORIZED stores are also using aftermarket parts and still charge you the same price. An average customer cannot tell what is original what is aftermarket parts.

I will never buy something from ifixit or something similar.

A technician easily mess up at least 10 iPhone 4 Digitizer LCD combos before he can master the installation procedures. Its not that easy!

22. getlow, Nov 29, 2011

getlow thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have applecare but not plus (don't think that covers accidental damage). I'm pretty technically inclined. I fix a lot of computers and electronics and can solder as well. With that said I feel that I can save myself the 100+. I'll take extra care with the flex cable for sure. How delicate is it? I mean it can't be THAT bad right? Only to an inexperienced, heavy handed person? It should only damage if it is flexed awkwardly or bent. Minor things such as brushing up against the frame slightly should not effect it in anyway?

23. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

there are lots of videos on youtube of people showing the whole dissembling/repairing/reassembling process. No soldering required. Just lots of unscrewing and carefully removing ribbon cables.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, it also has to do with the installation prob cause some people cause more damage when trying to fix something:)
    You're more knowledgeable on the installation aspect than me.
    I just had a friend trying to replace the screen on his 3GS with a cheap one he got on ebay and completelly sucked and touch sensitivity was way off by seconds and not even accurate. What a dissaster:)

25. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

They have the same LCDs as everyone else, except that they are $38 on sale, on backorder and you can get them for $15 less everywhere else.

Either you take your chance with the cheap ones, get the one from iFixit or the iCracked screen replacement kit.
    [​IMG][​IMG]