*Need responses quick for essay* (Online censorship)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SeanZy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I need some responses to a question that I will use to support/refute an argument about online censorship (Depending on the responses).

What I need to know from you guys is this: Do you find codes of conduct unnecessarily restrictive or conductive to a sense of community?

Let me know if you mind me mentioning your username and the website in my essay. If so, I will change the names but keep your opinions.

Thanks a lot!

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like that websites have codes of conduct. Other wise it quickly just devolves into a swear-filled flame fest.

3. JohnMC macrumors 6502

I think CoC's are very important in online communities were people have no real face-to-face connections with each other. They keep these communities from self-destructing when one person as a beef with someone else.

You can use my username in your essay. Hope this helps.

John

4. ethical macrumors 68000

This may seem like an odd comparison, but I think CoC online are important for the same reasons that they are in courts and formal debates. It keeps the debate/conversation civilized and on track (to some extent). Otherwise it would be very easy to veer off course and into an aggressive slagging match between a few people.

However, I don't believe CoC should exist throughout all online communities, as freedom of speech as just as important...no matter how irrelevant and vile the comment may be.