Need same photo in both iPhoto and specified folder - how?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacFanJeff, Jun 3, 2008.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

What I want to do is simple, but I can't seem to figure out how to go about this. Basically, what I want to do is be able to connect my camera to import family photos and such and have it import in both iPhoto and a specific location such as photos/family/2008. I know how to import into iPhoto, but don't know how to get the SAME photo in my custom location. The problem is i NEVER trust any application by itself and want to have my actual .jpg photo stored in a location I choose other than iPhoto for example. It's OK if the app imports it, I just want to make sure my original copy is in the place I specify for future use. Is there a quick and easy way to do this and where or how do I get my original photos from iPhoto to my custom location?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Just drag the photos or the event out of iPhoto into the finder.

3. Solo13 macrumors newbie

That or File>Export from in iphoto should do the trick.

Not sure you could do them both at the same time, so it would copy them into iphoto and to the other location at the same time.

The other way would be to use image capture or something to get them from the camera, into the specified folder, and then add them to iphoto from there. This way might be slightly faster, if that's an issue.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do you *want* to keep your photos in two places? Or do you just not want to use iPhoto's organization system?

If you want to use your own organization system and not keep two copies of each photo, just specify that you don't want the photos copied into the iPhoto library when you import them, under Preferences --> Advanced.

When you plug in your digital camera, use the finder to organize the photos how you want.

Then drag the photos you want into iPhoto.

5. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the replies. Both answers from "wordmunger" and "solo13" did the trick and works fine for what I need. The help is appreciated.

6. junkmailbonzai macrumors member

great question! I also do the same thing with my photos. I have yet to find a photo organizer that I like better than doing in manually.