Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
ok i've got one of the original 2001 ibook dual USBs, i bought it last year on july 27th from circuit city, they have a no lemon guarantee and mine has been repaired 2X by apple already, if it has to be repaired a 3rd time they either refund the $ and will refund my ESP which comes out to like 2200$ US or replace it with something of equal value that is new or better value, i love it but i have the opportunity to get my $ back to buy a desktop powermac when the new ones come out, should i? or shouldnt I? if i should anyone have any ideas of how to disable a port on it so apple will have to repair it a 3rd time? also umm i have an ipod in perfect working order except for some reason the battery life is like 3 hours without skipping around or using the backlight, anyone's ipod have a better lifespan? and how long do li-ion batteries last before they lose their effectiveness? because i cannot watch a normal 1 and 1/2 hour DVD on my ibook on battery power anymore???

Thanks for the help!

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
I have had battery probs with my ipod and fixed it does you HD spin longer than 10 seconds after choosing a song? if so you might have the same problem I had and I have a fix for it let me know.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
that is not good. u are trying to $crew Apple? i can't believe u even posted that! you should delete it now before everyone starts to hate you.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Apple got thier money, he would be screwing circut city maybe not the nicest thing to do but then again sounds like he did get a sour comp. 2 repairs by apple? That really shouldnt have to happen.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
If you do decide to go down that route...... then makesure that you f**k it up properly...... because if they have even the slightest whiff that it was done on purpose...... not only will you end up with a knackered iBook...... you'll also end up with the mother of all repair bills........

If you're so inclined to do this..... insure the iBook and just drop it........ far, far safer....... than trying to make a problem look like it was faulting engineering.......

Just a thought.......

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Where do you people live?? Like, which planet? Every part of this scheme is based on doing something unethical.. and while that doesn't seem to matter to people much anymore, it's also illegal. (not that law matters much these days, either) I can't believe you're discussing this in public.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sorry it's really hard to seriously answer a post like this, much less help.

Normally I might answer this with a comment of where to place the laptop, but the brown stain and pungent smell from the computer might make Circuit City employees refuse to take the machine back.

So I think I'll give you a site to look at instead - which claims the Circuit City warranties are usually worthless.

And there is the chance that Circuit City ripped you off first anyway.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/results...uit+City&q6=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search!

Have fun with the 9 pages of Circuit City warranty rip offs.

And READ THE WARRANTY in full, before you do anything. Don't go by what a salesman says, they want the commision.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Originally posted by IndyGopher
Where do you people live?? Like, which planet? Every part of this scheme is based on doing something unethical.. and while that doesn't seem to matter to people much anymore, it's also illegal. (not that law matters much these days, either) I can't believe you're discussing this in public.

I do not condone dishonesty and would never attempt this approach myself but if you have ever shelled out a butt load of cash on something that was problamatic from the beginning while everyone around you with the same product was zipping along just fine with no problems you would be able to empathize with this guys way of thinking. I bought a 5 gig ipod when they were released and loved it for about 91 days until the battery life dropped to about 20 minuetes, then to 6 and apples explanation was it is out of warranty you will have to send it in and pay the 250$ repair fee! $250!!! I thought they were kidding they wouldnt even help me troubleshoot the POS After about 4 weeks and many refused service calls later I figured out the problem on my own and it was something that could have been solved on the phone the first time I called. I loathe apple support but love apple for the fact that you rarely need their support. This guys only crime is impatience, his ibook works fine now but after 2 apple services! He is just anticipating the third and if it doesnt happen then he should be happy and enjoy the product he bought for years to come. As far as iGavs suggestion on insurance, people who write insurance take a calculated risk of having to shell out some cash, if the policy includes "if you drop your ibook" and the ibook is dropped so be it.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
car insurance

I'm going to go out today and drive arround, wait for someone to tail gate me and then slam on the brakes. When the guy hits me I'm going to claim whip lash and have my crooked Dr. back me up. Ill get paid for the next 6 months to get back rubs from 22 year old blonds that work at the re-abilitaion clinic.

... or maybe I just be a decent person and not do any of that.

-evildead

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Doing something and wanting to do something are far different things. I think most of us would never get so far as doing anything like this but I doubt there are few who havent wanted to on occasion, I am just being honest, problems like this are frustrating as hell as for evildeads comment I agree but maliciously looking for a buck is a completely different subject

Pin-Fisher

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Marlton NJ
Really....I can undersatnd being upset about getting a comp
that had to be repaired 2x. I bought a Monorail (dont ask) that
had similar issues. Tech support even had me flash the bios ,
which failed. Then I had to pay shipping back to monorail
to get it fixed only to find out the original problem
still existed. I lived with it. At least you have a fully functioning
unit. Sounds like you are just trying to get a "dicounted upgrade".

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Need serious advice

Originally posted by davidc2182
ok i've got one of the original 2001 ibook dual USBs, i bought it last year on july 27th from circuit city, they have a no lemon guarantee and mine has been repaired 2X by apple already, if it has to be repaired a 3rd time they either refund the $ and will refund my ESP which comes out to like 2200$ US or replace it with something of equal value that is new or better value, i love it but i have the opportunity to get my $ back to buy a desktop powermac when the new ones come out, should i? or shouldnt I? if i should anyone have any ideas of how to disable a port on it so apple will have to repair it a 3rd time? also umm i have an ipod in perfect working order except for some reason the battery life is like 3 hours without skipping around or using the backlight, anyone's ipod have a better lifespan? and how long do li-ion batteries last before they lose their effectiveness? because i cannot watch a normal 1 and 1/2 hour DVD on my ibook on battery power anymore???

Thanks for the help!

i have not come upon your situation and have not heard all the facts from both sides which is obvious from all the confused posts you are receiving pro and con...i don't know who screwed who...i would ask macrain...law and justice and fairness are all different things and this is a legal matter

as far as the liion battery, they are only promised to work one year before they are kaput...but in many cases they last longer

my "six hour" 1999 ibook battery was giving me four and a half hours right out of the box and three years later, i still get two and a half hours out of it which is not bad

the computer will be paperweight material before the battery dies

but since i am so slow in everything i do, a 300 mhz computer will do me just fine thru 2003...he he

...even though the local telcomm people may change rj-11 and make my modem and ethernet port obsolete...i think att or worldcomm is talking gigabit ethernet dsl only one day soon so my 10/100 and 56k modem will become legacy ports so if this happens next year, then my ibook will be a word processing and graphics/gaming unit

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Need serious advice

Originally posted by jefhatfield

but since i am so slow in everything i do, a 300 mhz computer will do me just fine thru 2003...he he

for those of you new to computing, a 300 mhz chip of any sort was first developed by the intel people back when president clinton was in his first term:p

next time i go ibook, i will make sure it is nothing less than a 1 ghz machine and a g4 at that

of course three years after that, 5 ghz will be the flavor of the day:(

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Need serious advice

i have not come upon your situation and have not heard all the facts from both sides which is obvious from all the confused posts you are receiving pro and con...i don't know who screwed who...i would ask macrain...law and justice and fairness are all different things and this is a legal matter

Personally I think it's morally and ethically wrong to f**k up your machine and try and claim either your money back or get a replacement......... I also suspect that it's probably illegal as well.......

Unfortunately some people do this....... and I'd hazard a guess that people that do this.... either taking things back after screwing them up........ or making false insurance claims just increase costs for the rest of us......

Just a thought....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Need serious advice

Originally posted by iGAV

Personally I think it's morally and ethically wrong to f**k up your machine and try and claim either your money back or get a replacement......... I also suspect that it's probably illegal as well.......

Unfortunately some people do this....... and I'd hazard a guess that people that do this.... either taking things back after screwing them up........ or making false insurance claims just increase costs for the rest of us......

Just a thought....

maybe he could just get his money back because they sold him a lemon...and that is unethical

who did who wrong first?

i think a refund is in order but he should return the machine in working or as is order just as it is right now

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Re: Re: Re: Re: Need serious advice

maybe he could just get his money back because they sold him a lemon...and that is unethical

How are "they" unethical if they didn't know it was a lemon? Circuit City didn't tamper with the machine to make it malfunction, they just sold it as it was received. If that is unethical, what is intentionally breaking a computer to deceive the reseller to attain a new one?

Bill

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need serious advice

Originally posted by billiam0878

How are "they" unethical if they didn't know it was a lemon? Circuit City didn't tamper with the machine to make it malfunction, they just sold it as it was received. If that is unethical, what is intentionally breaking a computer to deceive the reseller to attain a new one?

Bill

what is unethical is if they don't refund him in the alloted time period or if apple does not fix the problem in the warranty period

beyond that, it's tough luck for the customer

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Originally posted by Sun Baked
And READ THE WARRANTY in full, before you do anything. Don't go by what a salesman says, they want the commision.

Agreed. I worked for Circuit City for two years (finished last summer) and the reason I chose not to return was because of the warranty.

Forgive my rant, but here is the story with Circuit City and their warrantee. As you probably know, sales counselors at Circuit City make all of their money from commissions. Commissions are based on the mark up on a product and they are by no means consistent. You could sell a $3000 Sony computer with Trinitron monitor and make $25, however, if you sold an HP printer with a couple packages of paper, a warrantee and some ink, you might make $30. Circuit City and its salesmen make their money from the warrantees and accessories. The warrantee, known as "cheese,” makes or breaks a sale as the salesman receives 15% of the cost of the warrantee. If you sell the "cheese," you can turn a $20 laptop commission into a $76 sale (warrantee normally runs $369 for three years, 15% of $370 = about $56!).

Computers alone, even Macs, do not carry much of a mark up, and thus selling the warrantee (and accessories) is not only necessary for the sales counselor to make money but for the store to remain profitable. At any given store, there are between 60-100 sales counselors and 6-9 managers. The managers work under a store manager, and if the store is not maintaining its assigned profit, the store manager here's about it from the district manager, the managers get it from the store manager, and the managers rattle the sales counselors. As a sales counselor, you are expected to sell so many accessories and warrantees relative to your sales: About 10-12% of your sales should be accessories and approximately 8-10% should be warrantees. If your numbers are not there, you get "coachings" from the managers where you are basically told to get your but in gear. Apparently if you get more than a few coachings you can even loose your job—One of the reasons why I quit.

Though I loved selling technology at Circuit City (especially Macs), I did not feel right about this pressure and the need to see one's customers as dollar signs. Circuit City didn't seem to care how you sold the "cheese" just as long as you did and it didn't get returned. Though ever sales counselor goes through training in the different areas of technology, you are never told much about the warrantee. Your managers teach you how to fill out a "cheese sheet" which helps persuade the customer to purchase a warrantee, however, sales counselors are given few specifics regarding the warrantee. When I worked at Circuit City I took the time out to read the fine print, just so that my customers would not suffer from my ignorance.

True, there are many sales counselors who care only about their commissions, yet this is not the case with all sales counselors and such a generalization should be avoided. The Circuit City warrantee does have its gaps, and there have been instances when people have been taken advantage of, however, there have also been many circumstances when people have saved large amounts of money because of the warrantee. Thus, while I had some sour experiences with Circuit City and their warrantee it is not all bad, and to cheat Circuit City into buying you a new computer only questions your integrity-- something you can't put a price on.

Bill

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need serious advice

what is unethical is if they don't refund him in the alloted time period or if apple does not fix the problem in the warranty period

When I last worked for Circuit City, "Lemon Support Plus" as it is called, guarantees the customer their money back or a new computer AFTER THE THIRD REPAIR. He has had two repairs and I am thus failing to comprehend how Circuit City has acted unethically. I'm sure if he has another VALID problem in the time of his warrantee, he will receive a new machine or his money back.

Bill

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need serious advice

Originally posted by billiam0878

When I last worked for Circuit City, "Lemon Support Plus" as it is called, guarantees the customer their money back or a new computer AFTER THE THIRD REPAIR. He has had two repairs and I am thus failing to comprehend how Circuit City has acted unethically. I'm sure if he has another VALID problem in the time of his warrantee, he will receive a new machine or his money back.

Bill

that is a cool warranty...something to consider when i buy my next computer...if it's a pc...the circuit city where i live does not have macs

do other circuit city's have macs still?

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
no, unfortunately, circuit city stopped carring macs a few months ago. thankfully, there's an apple store opening up less than a mile away (in garden city):)

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
LOL, I have worked for two Circuit City stores, and in both I was the "Mac guy" which basically meant no one else new a thing about them. Unfortunately, when sales people don't know about something, they don't try to sell it and that's why the Apple-Circuit City deal didn't work. It might have been more successful had Apple sent Reps over more often :(

Bill

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
ok!

ok i'm sick of this crap i bought a bummed machine, and you know what, after they fixed the first problem the computer came back broken from apple, if you leaned your wrists on the bezel the screen would start to bleed colors like they left something loose in there, now i dunno if i'm going to try to get my money back or not, but i will definitely try to get my money back from the warranty cuz i've been reading lots of bad stuff about ESPs from circuit city on laptops, so um lemme see is there any way to get an apple extended warranty before the first year of the regular one is up in florida?

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
I believe you can return your Circuit City CSP as long as it is done before the first year is over, however, it’s a tough one to call because Apple’s base warranty is (I think) ninety days. If you live in Florida, I don’t think you can purchase AppleCare, but you might try stopping by an Apple Store and ask a sales associate.

Just so you know, it is not Apple that repaired your laptop, but some company Circuit City does business with that is part of GE. If there is a genuine problem with your screen, you might want to bring it to their attention and if they agree that your machine is still not functioning properly, the no lemon rule should apply.

Bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.