Need small bag for Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny_w, May 18, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I just ordered a refurb blackbook today and want to get a carrying bag for it. I want something small but with space for a power adapter and maybe a mouse. Most of the small bags that I have seen are basically just sleeves (like the Brenthaven Edge) that only have space for the laptop itself. Is there anything fairly small and light that still has some extra pockets for extras? I don't want anything big like a backpack or messenger bag.

2. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just got a Tom Bihn Small Café bag (not for a laptop), but I think one of the larger ones will fit your machine. It's not as large as a traditional messenger bag, and will run you about $55, which I think is a good deal. I'm loving my new one.

Plus, it comes with a Treason Tag!

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

NewEgg has a variety of cases, bags and such for the Macbooks...

5. Winterfell macrumors regular

Crumpler bags are my favorite, and I highly recommend them. They may seem a little expensive at first, but 10 years down the road when you're still using them, it will pay off. :)

> Laptop bags.

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for all the tips folks. I'm looking now at the Brenthaven Metro and the Marware Sportfolio Deluxe; both of these have added space for the power adapter and mouse, while the sleeve-type cases do not. Has anybody used either of these? If I got an extra power adapter for the office then the Brenthaven Edge I or the Marware Sportfolio would do fine, or the Crumpler sleeve.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

I have a couple bags that would last that long, and I get tired of them way before they wear out on me :eek:

8. machris macrumors newbie

machris

I purchased this Booqbag Vyper Exo it's a little pricey but well worth the money. Fits the Macbook and 15" Macbook pro nicely, with room for a mouse, power adapter, and video adapters.

9. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I've used the Sportfolio for my iBook and after my friend saw it he got one for his PB. They're fantastic cases, have the handle for holding and the long strap. I usually end up putting it in my backpack most of the time though.

10. infz macrumors member

infz

I looove my STM Small Loft for my macbook. It's well-protected, survived a craazy rainstorm, and I like the verticalness.

11. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Any experience with the Incase Nylon Sleeve for Macbook? This is the one with the little external pouch for the power adapter.

12. civilizedrat macrumors regular

I've got the STM Small Alley for 13" MacBook. It's really great. Doesn't look like a notebook bag, so doesn't attract attention when in public. Perfect fit and padding all around the MacBook. Check it out.

13. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to check out what they have in person. I don't know what they will have in stock, but they list the Brenthaven Metro, Incase Nylon Sleeve, and STM Small Alley in the online store.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have this as well. Looks fantastic in real life, although ugly on the STM website. I have bought 2 now. I owned my first for 2 years, the strap broke, and after looking for another brand and style, I ended up getting this one because of how good it looks, and how practical it is. No other bag seems to do exactly what this bag does (fit a 13" MacBook), and yet still looks good.

15. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

So which do you own, the Small Loft or the Small Alley? From the website it looks like the Loft fits very loosely with a lot of space around the laptop, but the Alley fits more snugly. Is this true?

16. TaylorDog macrumors newbie

The STM Small Loft looks like a very cool bag. I just placed an order for the chocolate/orange one. Thanks for the info!!

17. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I just got back from the Apple store, where they had the Brenthaven Metro and the Incase Nylon Sleeve. The Brenthaven offered obviously better protection, but was bigger and bulkier than I wanted and the material felt cheesy. The Incase was exactly what I was looking for; basically a sleeve case with handles and a pouch for the power adapter, very light and easy to carry. They didn't have the silver that I wanted so I got the orange. Thanks for all of your help.

18. TaylorDog macrumors newbie

I just received my STM Small Loft bag today and it's GREAT. It is built very well, perfect size and looks great on top of it. The cheapest place I found it was keenzo.com. I had never heard of them before so I was kind of worried, but I had it two days after I placed my order. Consider this bag if you're looking one.

Oh, the only drawback is that it looks so un-like a computer bag, some people might think you're carrying a purse or something.