Need Small Business Calendar/contact sharing app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hookem12387, Oct 2, 2007.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Ok, my boss is finally completely fed up with microsoft after a brief period of time spent with microsoft office live. Because of this he wants to switch the whole office to macs. We need some solution for calendar and contact sharing within the office, and it would be nice if it was viewable outside of the office (but not essential). We have a wireless LAN as far as existing infrastructure goes.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Daylite by Marketcircle. Powerful, scalable. Vastly superior to the iCal and Address Book solution. $149 per license. Free, fully functional demo version available.

Our small business has a license for each employee and we couldn't operate without it. We can invite colleagues to meetings, share contacts, manage tasks, you name it.

4. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, this sounds interesting. Just for curiosity's sake, what is the ical/address book solution?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Sometime this month, a (hopefully) usable group tool. The current iterations of both are more for individuals or families. Not a corporate/small biz tool quite yet.

iCal and Address Book in Leopard are looking to be more featured and robust in that area, but still aren't likely to knock even Outlook off its perch anytime soon.

But, as they are included free with every Mac, they're worth a try. Keep in mind, the enhanced group management features in iCal are (I believe) only going to be available in Leopard Server (whenever it's released).

Edit: Yup, thought so. iCal in Leopard will support the CalDAV standard for group scheduling, in conjunction with iCal Server (http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/icalserver.html), $499 for a 10-seat license, $999 for unlimited - that's for OS X 10.5 Server full OS, not just the calendaring.

6. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I know he is fed up with Microsoft, but how about Microsoft Entourage? A lot of people that use it really like it and it shares contacts, calendar and email.

8. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

entourage isn't out of the question at all. But I thought we needed a server to actually share everything through that? If so can I do it with just a linux box on an old pc or do I need leopard server? And for leopard server does it need a dedicated mac or can I also use the leopard server box for regular work