Need Software Inventory of Hard Drive without booting from it

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trashy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. trashy macrumors newbie

Earlier this year I wiped and reloaded my old MacBook for sale on eBay. And then I managed to put off actually selling it for seven months. So now I'm prepping my eBay auction and I can't remember what software I have on it. Leopard I think, or is it Snow Leopard? I can't tell, partially because I have it wiped so that the new owner will get the whole 'new' Mac experience. I don't want to set up a new user just to look at what is installed, but I can't figure out how to do this from any of my install DVD's either.

I did manage to boot up on the install DVD and view the system profiler. That was great for verifying RAM and hard drive size. But the software section only showed me what was on the DVD itself.

So am I hosed? Do I have to set up a user and then re-wipe everything again to reset it back to virgin status?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you have another Mac, boot up the one you want to sell into Target Disk Mode and connect the two via FireWire. The TDM Mac will show up as a drive. If you don't, download an image of Ubuntu, and boot your Mac into that once you've burned it to a disk and you can browse the internal drive without booting OS X.

3. trashy thread starter macrumors newbie

My only two existing Macs are Airs... :)

I might have an old Linux boot CD lying around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig one up, good idea - thanks!